wolfgang hasselmann TwLGzTFFFio unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
wolfgang hasselmann TwLGzTFFFio unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Little Things

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ashoka chapter.

Edited by: Avni Gupta

The following six paragraphs highlight the experiences based on small incidents in the lives of six different people (They are not related to each other) while taking us on a journey of what they felt and thought in the moment. A tiger’s offspring is born a tiger, but we must learn to be human – a little more kindness and a little more appreciation of the things around us is all it takes. 

Sia: I embarked on a solitary stroll today, to seek solace in the embrace of nature. As I wandered, my gaze landed upon a small avian architect that was diligently crafting its haven. A bird. The bird tirelessly flitted here and there to gather twigs of the right size, as it constructed a cup-shaped sanctuary in a symphony of instinct and ingenuity. Its attention to detail and mastery of camouflage revealed nature’s marvels and the bird’s unwavering commitment. In those ten minutes of rapt observation, profound wonder had enveloped me. I now struggle to explain why this encounter touched me so deeply, but it did indeed leave a very indelible mark. I found joy in what would otherwise be called mundane by the people around me. To be present in that moment, to witness each graceful movement, filled me with completeness. It also ignited a fervent curiosity within me – how do such little creatures know to craft such resilient nests from mere twigs? Perhaps not every puzzle was mine to solve.

Amir: I tendered a humble 20 Rupees to the shopkeeper, and in return, he bestowed upon me the chocolate flavoured ice cream that I had been craving for. A rush of joy coursed through me as I eagerly tore open the wrapper. The first bite was nothing short of divine. As I savoured my treat, my gaze shifted to the right, where a young boy sat on the weathered footpath. His eyes, fixed intently upon me (or perhaps the ice cream), held an unspoken yearning. Unable to ignore his silent plea, I asked him what the matter was. His silence spoke volumes, revealing a desire that mirrored my own moments ago – he too wanted an ice cream to soothe his cravings. Without hesitation, I made a promise to him, a promise to share the sweetness of this moment. He, in turn, requested that his sister join in the delight. To this, I readily agreed, embracing the opportunity to spread joy. In a matter of moments, the two young souls held their own ice creams, their faces illuminated by genuine happiness. Their smiles, radiant and infectious, was a testament to the transformative power of shared joy, a simple act of kindness that connected us all in a moment of pure, unadulterated happiness. I discovered that a shared smile has the remarkable ability to bridge gaps and create bonds that transcend words. Little things aren’t little, they are everything.

Myrah: A roof. I lied down. I looked up. I saw stars. Be it a clear, tranquil night or amidst a bustling cityscape, gazing at the night sky had always transported me to a realm of awe, introspection, and infinite possibilities. Thoughts turned inward. I became connected to something greater than myself. The same stars that adorned my sky had also witnessed the triumphs and tragedies of countless civilizations throughout history. I became a part of an ancient and ongoing human experience, joining the company of stargazers who came before me. The night sky became a unifying force, reminding me that I shared a common bond with every person who had ever looked up in wonder. I wondered if those people in other parts of the world also saw the same stars as me. Would they see it the same way that I would? I wondered whether the stars twinkled and sparkled with the same colours for them too. Perhaps, they did, perhaps they did not. The stars still exist though. Alas, there will always be truths that cannot be proved. Incompleteness. It defines us, and the world.

Leo: I called my friends, and once we were united in our group of seven, we rushed down. For what? To collect mangoes. It was peak summer. 38 degrees. We sweat profusely. Each drop, a testament to our struggle, painted a picture of determination and the raw essence of our effort to get yet one more mango. The sweat cascaded, a silent symphony of endurance, but we giggled, louder than ever. “That branch there!” “Get that stick” “That is too high up, let us get this one instead”, “Wait, let me shake the trunk, you catch!.” 30 minutes after that, I saw my group and myself sharing the widest smiles over the sweetest mangoes. What are sufferings? I wondered. Transient visitors in the voyage of our existence perhaps. People do suffer more in imagination than in reality.

Maya: It’s funny how we listen to sad songs when we are sad. How we crave for a hug when we are down. How we want to run down all the paths we have walked down before and made memories, because emotions and nostalgia wrap around us. I visited Germany, and like any excited foreigner, I was overjoyed by the mere sight of things, when an old lady walked past me, looked me in the eye, smiled and said, “Good morning, dear, have a brilliant day.” – It made my day, and I haven’t forgotten her voice and face hence. It made me feel like I was a part of the place, not a visitor.

Azad: I found solace upon the shores of the tranquil lake, where time ceased its ceaseless march and the world melted away into a tapestry of stillness. How do I elucidate the serenity? The ripples embraced one another, merging and diverging, a delicate ballet of unity and divergence. It was as if the lake whispered its secrets, revealing the dance of life hidden beneath its calm facade. The ripples were brushstrokes and I stared while the sunlight, like a benevolent painter, continued its ascent across the azure sky, casting ever-changing hues upon the water’s surface. As I stood there, lost in contemplation, I became one with the lake, my presence a mere speck in the vast tapestry of creation. Our problems, our troubles are like fire. When we live in a burning house, it seems as if the world is on fire, but it really isn’t. The world has water too.

Poulomi is a member of the Content Team of the Ashoka University chapter of Her Campus. She is a first year student intending to major in Computer Science. In her free time she can be found writing in her notebook, trying out various sports, or exploring a whole different activity. She likes listening to travel stories, and is always down to have a cheesecake. If anyone ever wants to go out for a walk, or sit in the lawn and stare at the sky, feel free to call her.