This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ashoka chapter.

The Palette of Ideology

From the opening scenes, “Jojo Rabbit” introduces a distinct color palette that serves as a visual metaphor for the ideological divide of the era. The prominence of red, white, and black – the colors of the Nazi flag – is juxtaposed against softer, more vibrant hues. This deliberate choice highlights the stark contrast between the oppressive ideology of the Nazis and the natural, human world outside of it.

Red, a color often associated with power and danger, is strategically used to emphasize the aggressive indoctrination that Jojo and other children are subjected to. This can be seen in the fervent Hitler Youth camp scenes, where red armbands and banners dominate the screen. It symbolizes the intense indoctrination process that Jojo goes through, painting a clear picture of the oppressive regime he is growing up in.

The Innocence of Yellow

Contrastingly, the color yellow is employed to represent the innocence and curiosity of childhood. This is most evident in Jojo’s imaginary friend, a whimsical and comedic representation of Adolf Hitler played by Taika Waititi himself. Hitler, dressed in a flamboyant uniform of yellow and sporting a playful demeanor, provides a stark contrast to the real-world atrocities happening around Jojo. This use of yellow reinforces the notion that Jojo’s perception of Hitler is a distorted and childlike fantasy.

As the film progresses, yellow becomes a symbol of Jojo’s personal growth and his journey towards self-discovery. This is evident in his interactions with Elsa, the Jewish girl his mother is hiding in their home. As Jojo begins to challenge his beliefs, the color yellow serves as a bridge between his youthful innocence and the harsh realities of the world.

Elsa’s Browns

Elsa, the Jewish girl hiding in Jojo’s house, is often associated with the color brown. Brown is traditionally linked with strength, depth, and introspection. In the context of Jojo Rabbit, it represents Elsa’s resilience and strength in the face of adversity. Her wardrobe is predominantly brown, reflecting her ability to maintain composure and a sense of self, despite the horrors of the war.

Furthermore, the use of brown reflects the transformative effect Elsa has on Jojo. Through their interactions, Jojo gradually sheds his preconceived notions about Jews, ultimately learning to see Elsa as a person rather than a representation of the enemy. This evolution is mirrored in the shifting color palette of the film, as Jojo’s journey becomes more complex and nuanced.

The Evolution of Green

Green, a color associated with growth and renewal, plays a crucial role in illustrating Jojo’s transformation. Initially, green is used sparingly, reflecting Jojo’s limited perspective within the confines of Nazi ideology. However, as he begins to question the beliefs he has been raised with, green becomes more prominent in the film.

The verdant surroundings of Jojo’s hometown, and the forest where he discovers Elsa, serve as a visual representation of his expanding worldview. The vibrant greenery symbolizes Jojo’s burgeoning understanding of the world beyond the narrow confines of his indoctrination. It is in these moments that we witness Jojo’s growth from a naive, fervent believer to a more compassionate and open-minded individual.

“Jojo Rabbit” stands as a testament to the power of visual storytelling.Through the strategic use of color, the film encapsulates the journey of a young boy navigating a world plagued by hatred and prejudice. The juxtaposition of vivid, natural hues against the stark, oppressive colors of Nazi ideology creates a visual language that speaks volumes.

As the characters grapple with their beliefs and identities, the evolving color palette serves as a tangible representation of their internal transformations. “Jojo Rabbit” masterfully uses color to chart the emotional arc of its characters, ultimately culminating in a poignant and powerful narrative that resonates long after the credits roll.

I am Aryan, a sophomore CS major at Ashoka University.