This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ashoka chapter.

Edited By: Shriya Bhat

With Midnights breaking multiple records within the first week of its release, Taylor Swift has proven she is truly a ‘Mastermind.’ In Taylor’s words, these thirteen songs are, “a collection of music written in the middle of the night, a journey through terrors and sweet dreams.” Here are the songs that I connect with most, on my own journey of self discovery and reflection: 

1. Lavender Haze (a term coined during the ’50s, referring to being in love)

All of us have faced different levels of scrutiny regarding our personal lives. This song is a welcome reminder to someone like me, who tends to let go of good stuff based on what people might say. The messiness of such rumors and judgments usually leads to the fight or flight response; in Taylor’s case, it’s the former. 

Talk your talk and go viral/ I just need this love spiral/ Get it off your chest/ Get it off my desk.

People love being involved in others’ lives, whether it’s through social media or plain, old gossip. However, if we find a love that is surreal, all else fails to matter. We should stay in the lavender haze and not let anyone bring us down from that cloud. 

2. Maroon 

Maroon describes the complexities and vulnerabilities stemming from falling in and giving up on love. It reflects on how even the most passionate and simplistic love can fade due to the lack of care and effort, leaving a legacy of core memories in its wake. 

I feel you, no matter what/ The rubies that I gave up.

Sometimes we find such deep comfort in a lover that once they leave, everything reminds us of them. The memories are a constant reminder of what we gave up. 

3. Anti-Hero

I’ll stare directly at the sun, but never in the mirror

One of Taylor’s favorite songs, Anti-Hero goes all in when conceptualizing insecurities and anxieties, whether it’s trust-issues, self-loathing, overthinking, internalized body shame or unhealthy coping mechanisms. It examines all the flaws one has but never confronts. Sometimes, it’s necessary to acknowledge your issues, so that you can accept all your versions and move towards healing yourself. 

4. Midnight Rain 

I broke his heart ’cause he was nice/ He was sunshine, I was midnight rain/ He wanted it comfortable, I wanted that pain.

Don’t we know, all too well, what it’s like to find someone “perfect,” only to realize that “perfect” is not what we need then? Life is not like the iconic romantic movies we adore; it can be messy, and sometimes we’re the reason why. We choose the heartbreak. Or to break hearts, because what we’re offered is not what we’re ready for. 

He wanted a bride, I was making my own name/ Chasing that fame, he stayed the same/ All of me changed like midnight.

This song encapsulates how the differences in what you want in life (or seem to want) can end the best of relationships. In the choice between fame and love, there’s no right answer. We can only chase what feels right in the moment and learn to live with it without regrets. 

5. Labyrinth 

Breathe in, breathe through, breathe deep, breathe out/ I’ll be getting over you my whole life/ You know how scared I am of elevators/ Never trust it if it rises fast, it can’t last.

Who isn’t scared of falling in love again after an agonizing heartbreak? Labyrinth delves into the anxiety of opening yourself up to someone new because of how you’ve been hurt in the past. People expect you to bounce back into a relationship without allowing you the time to process your feelings, which can be pressuring and antagonizing. But the right person, with patience and effort, can change your mind. You can be happily in love again if you’re willing to surrender to that feeling and the potential loss that might come with it.

6. Karma

And I keep the side of my street clean/ You wouldn’t know what I mean/ ‘Cause karma is my boyfriend/ Karma is a God/ Karma is the breeze in my hair on the weekend/ Karma’s a relaxing thought.

If the lyrics aren’t obvious enough, this song is a passive, unbothered approach to those who wronged us and became the source of tears and hardships in our life. It reassures our faith in the universal concept of karma. What goes around comes around, so let’s not stoop to our wrongdoers’ level and let karma do its job.

7. Mastermind

No one wanted to play with me as a little kid/ So I’ve been scheming like a criminal ever since/ To make them love me and make it seem effortless.

Lyrically my favorite song so far, Mastermind toys with the idea of fate, and explains how every move is premeditated. It takes a deep dive into isolation and the urge to fit in. Many of us have felt abandoned, like our personality isn’t enough to sustain people in our lives. We plan and scheme sometimes, so we can feel loved. I know at least, I do.

Cause we were born to be the pawn in every lover’s game

For women, the only way to succeed in a male-dominated world is to take control of their narrative and lay the groundwork for each of their plans. Although being a calculating person doesn’t come easily to me, I do believe it is the only way to win in a cutthroat world.

8. Vigilante Shit 

I don’t start shit, but I can tell you how it ends/ Don’t get sad, get even/ So on the weekends

I don’t dress for friends/ Lately, I’ve been dressing for revenge.

A stark contrast to the other songs on the album, Vigilante Shit takes an iconic, darker approach to the concept of revenge. Instead of dwelling on the hurt, it fuels us to conspire and seek revenge. Most often than not, when we are wronged by the people we once believed were close to us, our mind sinks to a darker place where we let the negativity seep in and want to get even. It’s not the best idea, but it serves as a distraction before the bleakness of reality seeps in. 

Saher Khanna

Ashoka '23

Just your regular sky-obsessed, coffee-loving, Swiftie. She is pursuing an Economics major with a Media Studies and Entrepreneurship minor. When she's not writing, you can catch her reading, playing board games, clicking photos, listening to music or rewatching her comfort shows (One Tree Hill, Mentalist or Originals).