Friends Walking Together 4
Friends Walking Together 4
Breanna Coon / Her Campus

Iconic Female Friendships On TV: Like vs Dislike Version

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ashoka chapter.

Edited by: Maitree Jain

Popular media follows the trend of pitting women against each other. However, some shows over the years have provided us with quite a few iconic female duos. Here’s a list of iconic female duos I like versus the ones I don’t:

Like: Haley and Brooke from One Tree Hill 

While Brooke and Peyton were the OG best friends of the show, the friendship that stole my heart was the one Haley and Brooke shared. They imbibed each other’s best qualities and accepted each other at their worst. Brooke agrees to room with Haley when she returns to Tree Hill and has nowhere else to go, lets everyone think she’s pregnant to protect Haley’s secret, and helps her step out of her comfort zone. On the other hand, Haley sees past Brooke’s armor, believes in the good in her, forgives Brooke for stealing the Calculus test that makes her lose her job and even makes Brooke her child’s godmother. These two are always on the same page and are each other’s fiercest, most loyal supporters. From polar opposites to becoming each other’s maid of honors and reopening Karen’s cafe as adults, these two are there for each other through it all. 

Dislike: Blair and Serena from Gossip Girl

From parental problems and breakups to conspiracies and insecurities, this iconic duo have been through it all together and consider each other family, but that doesn’t justify the toxicity of their friendship. To start with, Serena sleeps with Blair’s boyfriend and then disappears for a year without any notice. Blair reveals to everyone Serena was staying at Ostroff Center for drug and alcohol addiction, out of spite. Serena tries to ruin Blair’s chances at Yale, despite knowing it’s her dream school. Blair gets together with Dan, Serena’s apparent first true love. Then, Serena coerces Dan into filming a sex tape to make Blair jealous. And basically, the list goes on. The two didn’t trust each other, were jealous of what the other had and sabotaged each other fairly effortlessly. Who doesn’t want a B to their S? Well, duh, me. 

Like: Jane and Petra from Jane, The Virgin

“Here’s how I feel; I didn’t grow up with a sister but I feel like I have one now.” — Jane to Petra

My personal favorite is the relationship evolution between Jane and Petra. Their friendship is honestly unexpected and complex but turns out to be the best element of the series. From nemesis to co-parents, the two eventually become sisters, and despite their constant differences, always come through for each other when needed. Petra’s coldness and practicality complement Jane’s warmth and emotional side as they experience failed relationships, unplanned pregnancies, and death without leaving the other’s side. 

Dislike: Brooke and Peyton from One Tree Hill 

Peyton said, “The best part about Brooke Davis is that she always puts her friends first.” And it’s true. Brooke is portrayed to be a shallow cheerleader best-friend to the brooding artistic Peyton at first. Although Brooke can be hurtful with her words and callous with her actions sometimes, she is always there for Peyton: Peyton is attacked at a party, Peyton encounters psycho Derek, Peyton’s mom is dying, Peyton’s problems with Jake, etcetera. However, the same can’t be said for Peyton who not only follows her feelings for Lucas twice when he’s with Brooke (in her defense, the second time she doesn’t lie and Brooke exits the triangle willingly) but she also is self-absorbed and lacks consideration for Brooke’s feelings. While their friendship evolves over time, the friendship is always centered around Peyton’s struggles while Brooke’s issues tend to take a backseat. 

Like: Rachel and Monica from Friends

This iconic duo has given us some ultimate friendship goals. From being best friends in high school to becoming roommates throughout adulthood, these two embody friends becoming family. Through years of heartbreak, love, laughs, and disasters, they never leave the other’s side. With distinct personalities of being dramatic and responsible respectively, Rachel and Monica complement each other and love one another entirely despite differences. 

Dislike: Maddy and Cassie from Euphoria 

From “B-tch, you’re my soulmate” to “You’re the most self-centered, idiotic person I have ever f-ing met.”

I mean do I really need to explain more? When Cassie’s character takes a downward spiral in the second season of the show, so does her friendship with Maddy. While the both of them are similar in their craving towards attention, past trauma, and settling for less in love, they are poles apart in everything else. Maddy’s confident, confrontational persona is a stark contrast from Cassie’s insecure, avoidant one. I don’t know about their friendship but their iconic fights will be remembered. 

Like: Meredith and Cristina from Grey’s Anatomy

One of the most heartfelt female duos of all time is Meredith Grey and Cristina Yang. They start their professional careers together and form a bond that undergoes death, destruction, and long-distance. They correct each other’s faults and empower each other to be their respective best versions. By becoming each other’s person, these two depict that even during the darkest times, a good friend can make you shine. 

Saher Khanna

Ashoka '23

Just your regular sky-obsessed, coffee-loving, Swiftie. She is pursuing an Economics major with a Media Studies and Entrepreneurship minor. When she's not writing, you can catch her reading, playing board games, clicking photos, listening to music or rewatching her comfort shows (One Tree Hill, Mentalist or Originals).