CPL Sections CLOTHING?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
CPL Sections CLOTHING?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Her Campus Media Design Team
Style > Fashion

Clothes; My Version of Mood Swings

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ashoka chapter.

Edited by: Kavya Gupta

I have never really been deeply invested in clothes or fashion, until now. I know that corsets and high waisted, wide legged jeans are the current trend; Sabyasachi opened a store in New York and featured on Diet Prada and that the ‘clean look’ is in vogue. FYI, the clean look is similar to the nude makeup look where it looks like you aren’t wearing any makeup, characterised by flushed cheeks and dewy skin. 

This newfound interest in clothes and fashion has given me some confidence and a grasp of the styles I tend to go for — what suits  me, what I like, dislike, my go-to fits for presentations, parties and hanging out. This article is for me and for my family and friends, so that they  understand the ways in which I express what I’m feeling when I’m dressed a certain way.  I hate talking about myself and how I’m feeling, hopefully a clothing guide should help everyone involved. 

Kurti, jeans, jhumkas and kajal

The classic literature major look. I’m very proud of my identity as a literature major and our designated look. This combination indicates that I’m having a good day, and even if I’m not, I’m feeling good about myself. It means I got up on the right side of the bed,  had just enough time to choose the right earrings, and line my eyes with kajal. I may have ruined five minutes of my roommate’s sleep by switching on the light, but oh well. 

Skinny jeans and a sweater

This is my go-to outfit when I am  indecisive. Somedays, I feel that the cool, casual vibe really works for me. On other days, I don’t want to be noticed, and prefer to blend in, so this is the ideal outfit. If my hair is open and free, I’m most probably having a peaceful, good hair day. If my hair is tied in a low bun, I’m tired but still mindful  about how I come across and interact with people. If my hair is up in a tight bun, I’m in my productive phase and plan to toil the night away, please do not distract or disturb! 

Oversized top and joggers

I know that both oversized tops and joggers are in trend, but that isn’t my vibe. If I am wearing these clothes with my hair oily and up in a bun, I’ve reached a level of indifference towards everyone and everything. If you want to hang out and have a heart to heart conversation, this is definitely not the time. Unless of course, you get me cake, in which case my love of cake will take over, and definitely uplift my mood. 

Nightgowns

You won’t really see me in this outfit, unless you’re my friend or live on my hostel floor. I love nightgowns. Their easy-breezy vibe makes them so much better than night suits. If you spot me wearing one during the day, it means I plan to head back to my room and nap. They may not be the most alluring or utilitarian outfits, but they instantly make me feel at ease. 

Black dress, red lipstick and golden jewellery

The classic party outfit. I know I look nice, you know I look nice, say that I look nice and make me feel better. Wearing red lipstick instantly gives me a confidence boost— it perpetuates the illusion that I am very much in control of things, even when I am not. Parties are stressful, and this outfit will both make me blend in yet stand out (in a good way). Even though I will most likely spend the evening standing in a corner of the room trying to make small talk. I especially need compliments and supportive affirmations during parties since they really aren’t really my thing. 

Summery dress, sandals and a statement ring

I love dresses, sandals (they are so much better than sneakers, and I will happily debate anyone on this topic), and statement rings. The three are a match made in heaven and give off a very warm yet assured vibe. I’m kind of sad that I won’t get to wear this outfit much now, since it won’t match with the fall or the winter vibe, and also because this outfit isn’t exactly winter friendly. But I mean, it’s just a few months— at least, that’s what I keep telling myself. Brb, just gonna go put on this outfit one last time before it gets packed in a suitcase which will only be opened next year (sob).

Sayona is a second year student at Ashoka University, majoring in English and Media studies. An ardent believer in the concept of afternoon naps and to-do lists; she is your go to person for clothes, food and advice.