This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ashoka chapter.

Edited by: Lasya Adiraj

While our hopes and dreams of an ideal Karan Johar college life have been crushed way too many times, the news of campus reopening has reblossomed some of it. If not Kjo, a John Green version (overburdened, anxious, precocious but still memorable version) of young adulthood is still on the page. While you are trying to allay your fears and anxieties about embarking on this unfamiliar journey, buying every single item listed on the ‘what to get to campus list’, or deciding on how many comfort plushies are too many to get to college, here is a guide for beginners to navigate some of the physical spaces of Ashoka. We sincerely hope these recommendations help you feel more at home!

Mess Lawns – For those days when your 8:30s get canceled, there’s sunshine and blue skies and everything feels just right. The lawns right outside the mess are the perfect spot to bask in that limited window of peace and joy. Throw in an Oreo shake from the Fuel zone to the combo for best results. 

Football Field at night – For those rare nights with clear skies when you can show off your star-gazing skills by pointing out the three stars in Orion’s belt and the brightest object in the night sky (it’s Venus, yes yes, we know), this is the perfect spot. With warmer days approaching, laying on the grassy slope and looking up at the night sky in the dark field is a beautiful experience, just make sure you have doused yourself in Odomos beforehand!

Sunrise from the Rh2 and Rh1 balconies – With their balconies opening up to the east, they are the perfect place to witness the morning sun. The red and orange hues with the birds (particularly parrots!) flying as perfectly symmetrical arrowheads, the sunrise is almost worth waking up early for. The higher the floor, the better the view. 

Faculty Block Balcony –  The views of the yellow fields of mustard outside the campus and the mess lawns, the sun reflected on the glass background, comfy chairs, and the artificial grass carpet make this a nice spot to click pictures in the golden hour. Or you could just sit in silence, observing the minuscule Ashokan figures and contemplate your next four-sentence paper. 

Rasananda – You discover this outlet one late night when all other eateries around campus are closed, it’s 5 AM and you still have 2000 more words to write for your paper. And soon it becomes a favorite for its bun maskas, kulhad wali chai, multiple flavors of Maggi, and uncle’s stories. 

Now for some regular food recommendations – We all know the items on the regular mess menu one needs to avoid. But here are some which have been consistent in their undisappointedness – Breakfasts are always a safe bet! Nothing beats eggs and toast. And almost all of the breakfast items are significantly superior to the other two meals. Also, the only time when you can expect shorter lines for food. 

Shuddh Desi Dhaba – The Dhaba is one of the only overhyped outlets which actually lives up to the hype. There’s not much you can go wrong with here, experiment and prosper! 

The bridge above the Atrium – The bridge connects the Academic Block 1 and Admin Building, and is one of the few places on campus at a higher elevation, without a roof overhead. It’s a good spot for your nightly music listening sessions or just sitting and chatting with a friend.  

As for the Academic Blocks and the Admin buildings, it’s been way too long since I’ve frantically ran for a morning lecture, already ten minutes late, trying to figure out which corner of the building leads to which room. And the Library is as much a mystery to all of us. At Ashoka, there’s always something new coming up. So maybe some labyrinths, we shall navigate together.  

If you are like me, navigating newer environments and spaces can feel like a tremendous task. I hope this helps you access some of the campus in more peace and solitude, till you get comfortable enough to find your own bubbles of comfort and make a home. 

Anushka is a content writer at Her Campus. She is a final year student at Ashoka University, pursuing a major in History and a minor in Sociology. She feels very strongly about one thing until she finds the other and can be found writing/ranting about her weekly passions to anyone who would listen.