Tips For Moving On After A Breakup

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Arkansas chapter.

Ladies, we all have that one stubborn ex that we just can’t seem to forget about right?  We know in our heads that we need to move on, but the desires of our hearts just can’t seem to come to terms with the thought of it.  The process of moving on is rarely ever quick and easy due to the constant reminder of good memories and common interest shared; however, it can be accomplished in time.  Remember that the breakup happened for a reason and use these tips to help you along the way.

1. Do You: Stay busy!  Take this breakup and turn it into something positive for yourself.  Get a job, go Greek, join a club, or just focus on your grades. Either way, nothing says “screw you” better than a new found success!
  2. GNO:  Reconnect with your girls!  We are all a little guilty of ignoring our friends when we get caught up with a new boy toy. Your friends may give you the cold shoulder at first, but eventually they’ll come around.  Plan movie nights, Bachelor watch parties, and random shopping trips because after a rough break up is when you need girl time the most!
  3. Out of Sight, Out of Mind:  This means NO CREEPING ALLOWED!  It’s best to do this to avoid jealousy, anger, or sadness on your part.  Delete and/or block your ex (and maybe even his friends) from all forms of social media.  It might be hard, but it’s in your best interest to not worry about what he’s doing anymore.  Also, don’t go places if you know he’s going to be there.  Running into each other is just going to be awkward for the both of you.
  4. Go Fishing: There’s plenty of other fish in the sea that could potentially be great for you, but you’ll never meet them if you don’t pick yourself up and put yourself out there!  Go on blind dates, do things that would normally scare you, and be adventurous!  Don’t lose your morals or lower your standards during this search.  Keep in mind who you are and what’s important to you.
  5. Fake it ‘til you Make it:  You might be taking the breakup harder than he is, but it’s key to not let him know how much you’re hurting.  Don’t use social media sites as your personal dairy.  If you put your inner feelings out there publicly, it could get back to him and your cover would be blown.  Smile, laugh, go out and have fun!  You won’t be doing yourself any favors by spending your time stuffing your face with yet another gallon of Rocky Road all alone.

This process will take time, so don’t rush yourself.  We all heal and move on at our own pace.  Breakups are going to happen; it’s a part of life. Use these tips as a guide for yourself if this situation happens to come along.  Hopefully they will help you bounce back and move onto the next one ASAP!