Thanksgiving: The Healthy Way

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Arkansas chapter.

It is officially the holiday season, and with Thanksgiving quickly approaching, so will the endless flow of hearty home-cooked meals.  You’ve almost made it through the semester, so go ahead and treat yourself!  But here are a few tips to help you make smarter decisions when met with the Thanksgiving spread. 

Start the day off right:

Before heading off for the festivities, eat a good breakfast.  Although it may be tempting to skip in anticipation for the meals to come, studies show that eating breakfast will you to control your portions later in the day. 

Skip the not-so seasonal treats:

Sure we all love cracking open an ice-cold soda to go along with our meals, but is it really necessary?  Think about it.  You can have that soda any day of the year.  Save those calories and treat yourself to grandma’s pumpkin pie instead. 

Be smart when serving:

As long as portions are kept in mind, it is okay to eat just about anything you want.  But certain foods have more health benefits and are lower in calories and fat.  White turkey meat, steamed vegetables, potatoes and pumpkin pie are all good options. After you clear your plate, try to resist going back for round two. 

Get Active:

Instead of lounging around on the couch watching football all day after the meal, gather your family and get creative.  Break into teams and start a touch football game or go for a hike in the afternoon.  This will help to burn off some of those calories that were consumed. 

Born and raised in Kansas City. Sophomore at the University of Arkansas.