Starting The Semester Off Right

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Arkansas chapter.

It has nearly been a month since the idea of class has even crossed your mind.  It is difficult going from the comforts of sleeping late every morning in your own bed to dashing out of your dorm for those 7:30 a.m. classes.  But with a new semester comes a clean slate.  This is the best time to apply what you’ve learned from those first semester mistakes and make these four months your best and most productive yet. 

1. Get ahead in school:  As of now, your spring semester gradebook is a blank page.  With the new semester comes a chance to apply yourself and really get ahead in your classes.  Take advantage of syllabus week and the less intense weeks following.  This time period is perfect for getting your supplies together, organgizing your schedule, and working ahead to get the most out of the upcoming lectures.  Putting in some effort during these weeks can help with your stress load later on.  Also, getting to know your professors earlier in the year will make you feel more comfortable asking for help if you need it later on.  Take a while to evaluate your study habits from last semester.  What worked and what didn’t?  Something as simple as changing study locations or switching out your folders for binders could make all the difference.  This is the time to figure it all out because we all know that the workload is only going to grow from here. 

2.  Form healthy habits:  Don’t let this be another year that your New Year’s resolution goes incomplete.  If you want to get in shape, this is the best time to start.  Group exercise classes are available to all students at the HYPR and Union gym and are a great way to get in shape and make new friends.  It can be intimidating joining a class mid-semester so bite the bullet and show up first week.  Try a bunch of classes, and see what works for you and what dosent.  I mean, some of us are better suited for an hour of yoga than an hour of Insanity and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that!  If the great outdoors is more of your scene than the gym, go for a bike ride around Lake Fayetteville or go hiking at Devil’s Den State Park.  Arkansas’s landscape and weather couldn’t be any better for living a healthy lifestyle.  If you begin forming your exercise habits early on, there is a better chance that they will become part of your routine.

3. Get career-minded:  Most people attending school at the University level have career-oriented aspirations for after graduation.  Learn a little more about your major, and the professional path that you’d like to pursue with it.  The beginning of the semester is the perfect time to start looking for summer internships or major-related events happening on or around campus.  Joining major-related clubs on campus can also help you to meet people with similar interests. 

4.Try something new:  Don’t be afraid to use this semester as a chance to get out of your comfort zone.  This is college!  The time when you are supposed to experience new things.  Plan a road trip with friends or join a school club that you have been interested in.  College is all about expanding your horizons so why not learn how to play guitar or finally finish that list of books you’ve been wanting to read. Roll with your ideas and start making plans and setting goals.

New semester, new you right?  Forming good habits now can make this year pan out more smoothly and productively for you.   Don’t miss your chance to get a head start!

Born and raised in Kansas City. Sophomore at the University of Arkansas.