Learning As I Go: Things That Pinterest Taught Us

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Arkansas chapter.

Pinterest and I developed a whirlwind romance over a year ago.  Like most fellow “pinners,” I can sit down and begin “pinning” to kill time and suddenly realize that an hour has passed.  During an intense pinning-spree the other day, I realized that Pinterest has taught me some very important lessons that I think most of you will agree with.  So, for a little humor, here are the things I have learned from Pinterest.

Just because I pin workouts and pictures of people working out, doesn’t make me any skinnier.  I have pinned six week workouts to brazilian butts and toned arms time and time again, and I just haven’t seen results.  I feel inspired immediately upon my pinning but by the time switch to pinning hair styles and wedding dresses, I completely forget the work outs, diets, or even the fact that I need to work out.  It just isn’t fair.  When I do work out, I simply return to my usual ritual of a few weights and the elliptical.  I keep thinking that if I pin yoga poses I will suddenly be flexible if I do them every few weeks.  Sadly, we still have to do the work. I know ladies, it’s a hell of a disappointment. 

There are so many adorable dog breeds we never even knew existed.

From a Beagalier (Beagle and King Charles Spaniel) to what is known as a “teddy bear dog” (half shih-tzu and half bichon frise), we are falling harder and harder for adorable creatures that people are pinning.  We seem to be more desperate for these furry companions we never even knew existed, as they begin to take over Pinterest.  The domesticated fox and teacup pig also fall under this category.

There are approximately 1,237 “skinny” cocktail recipes out there.

I have a board called “Kitchen and Cocktails” and it mostly consists of a few pasta dishes, cupcake recipes, and a ton of cocktails I can’t afford to make.  Over time, I have found recipe after recipe of “skinny” cocktails for cutting calories.  From the “Skinny White Grapefruit Martini” to the “Skinny Strawberry Lime Margarita,” these drinks are a craze.  If you ever find yourself caring to drink a somewhat decent cocktail to save 30 calories, Pinterest wants you to know that there are infinite options. 

Just because there are hundreds of pictures of girls in crop tops doesn’t mean everyone should wear a crop top.

Since this fad came sweeping over the 20-something community, it seems to be all over Pinterest.  With that said, I have seem more and more girls trying to pull of this look.  The thing about this fad is that it is a difficult one to get away with and if you can’t, don’t be down on yourself.  It’s a tough one!  I completely agree that you should wear whatever you want to wear and feel comfortable in but I’m just saying, the more I see this on Pinterest, the more girls I see trying to squeeze into this difficult fad.

Not everything on Pinterest is true.

I know, I know, it’s hard to believe.  Just remember that just because you see a beauty tip doesn’t mean someone didn’t just make it up, post it on a website, and is now laughing that everyone on Pinterest is trying it.  I once came home to some of my friends on the brink of tears as they applied lemon juice, sugar, and vinegar to their teeth for extreme whitening power.  It didn’t work.  It just burned.  They just looked stupid.

Just because you pin it, doesn’t mean you have to cook it.

For a while, I felt obligated to try and cook the delicious things I pinned.  The result was tragic.  I hate measuring because I am impatient and I simply do not have time to cook for an hour and then do all of the dishes.  Being on a college student’s budget doesn’t make it any easier.  I have given up on that completely.  The only time I actually cook items off of my board are when it is a cocktail or cupcakes, and I think that is ok.  So, go ahead and indulge with pinning things you would love to eat and don’t feel like you gave up when you settle for a Lean Cuisine at the end of the night.

Just because you can DIY, doesn’t mean you should DIY.

I’ve seen it a thousand times:  taking DIY too far to save money.  Sure, making your own book ends and candle holders can be adorable but making your own fabric softener and  building your own ottoman seem over the top and a little silly.  I am all for saving money, but if you have enough time to concoct your own cleaning supplies from scratch and build furniture, you need to take on a hobby or scale back a little bit.  Go back to decorating pottery and making Christmas ornaments.  Some things should be left to professionals or simply bought in stores.  I have seen a lot of tacky home decor and homemade face masks gone wrong courtesy of Pinterest DIY.  Some things should be bought in a store. 

Pinning quotes can substitute reading the actual book.

As an English major, I am appalled and disturbed by anyone who hasn’t read The Great Gatsby.  When the movie came out, I couldn’t help but notice how people that hated the book in high school or skipped every single day of World Lit II were suddenly pinning every single quote from the book.  People that never appreciated the book suddenly cared because of Leonardo and Pinterest.  In today’s world, if you pin enough quotes from an author, you are well-read and a true fan.  

If you are ever stumped on a gift idea, Pinterest is a good place to go.

Pinterest has proved to be useful.  There is never a need to google or flip through magazines for gift ideas.  From heartfelt and handmaid gifts to luxurious gifts from high-end websites you didn’t know existed, Pinterest has it all.  From foreign cook books to wine glasses that hold an entire bottle of wine, there are links to all kinds of these things at just the click of a mouse.  Pinterest will not fail you here.

It is never too early to plan a wedding.

I would be a liar if I didn’t say my wedding board not only exists, but also has a catchy name and more pins than any other board I have.  I absolutely adore weddings and shows about weddings, so of course, wedding pins are another love of mine.   Pinterest’s wedding pins can be unbelievable engagement rings, breathtaking gowns, outrageous cakes, or ridiculous venues.  It doesn’t matter if you are 18, single and don’t believe in marriage, Pinterest has made it ok go look at weddings inspiration even when no ring (or potential boyfriend) is in sight.

I love Pinterest, as do most of you.  We have been taught some very useful things.  From work outs to cooking, from fashion to literature, Pinterest has a little something for everyone and if you haven’t tried it yet, go ahead an take some time to do so.  So, go and pin your hearts out and reflect on these life lessons from Pinterest.    

Photo Source: www.tweekyourbiz.com

Originally from Little Rock, Arkansas. Currently, an English major at the University of Arkansas in Fayetteville. Studying English literature and French, also working with creative writing.