A Collegiette’s Guide to Avoiding Illness

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Arkansas chapter.

As I was lying in bed with a swollen throat and lymph nodes along with a pounding headache, I thought of something between my fourth nap today.  What could I have done to prevent this horrible feeling?  As fall is beginning, I decided to compile a list of how to keep yourself healthy—so you don’t end up feeling like a truck ran over you.

Listen to your body:

I think most of us ladies have a tendency to write a headache or a sore throat off as no big deal.  We’re busy, and really don’t have much time in our schedules to get sick.  However, when you start feeling bad, pay attention to your symptoms.  I always look up what I’m experiencing online, and sometimes it provides solutions.  But most of the time, seeing a doctor is the best thing you can do.  Only you know if you’re not feeling right and you owe it to yourself to get healthy.

Wash your hands:

It may seem trivial to repeat this as we’re all college ladies, but after I lived in the dorms on campus, I noticed some girls have a horrible habit of using the restroom and then leaving.  Not washing your hands increases your chances of spreading viruses, bacteria, and other microbes.  Make sure to wash your hands for at least 20 seconds in warm water with liquid or bar soap, especially after using the restroom, before and after you handle food, and before you touch your face or mouth.

Get plenty of sleep:

Two days before I got sick, I stayed up until 4 a.m. studying, trying to cram as much philosophy as I could before my test the next day.  Not only am I pretty positive it didn’t help, but now I’m tired from lack of sleep as well as being sick.  Dr. Timothy Morgenthaler of the Mayo Clinic reports that, “people who don’t get quality sleep or enough sleep are more likely to get sick after being exposed to a virus, such as the common cold.  Lack of sleep can also affect how fast you recover if you do get sick.”  When you sleep, your immune system releases proteins that “promote sleep”.  If you miss sleep, these proteins can decrease, as well as “infection-fighting antibodies and cells.” 

Bottom line is, sleep is good.  It is recommended that we need about 9-10 hours of sleep every night, but if you can’t do that, at least aim for 8.  So get in bed and get your beauty-rest, ladies!

Drink plenty of water:

Water actually “flushes toxins out of vital organs” and “carries nutrients to your cells and provides a moist environment for ear, nose and throat tissues.” Moreover, drinking water prevents dehydration, which can make you feel pretty exhausted.  The Institute of Medicine recommends that women drink about 2.2 liters a day, which equals out to about 9 glasses.

Eat healthy

Okay, this is definitely where I struggle.  After a long day of classes, the last thing I want to do is eat a piece of fruit to give myself “more energy”.  However, eating healthy does prevent illness and can promote a longer life.  The U.S. Department of Agriculture advises Americans to eat more fruits and vegetables, nuts, whole grains, seafood, and fat-free and low-fat dairy products.  It can be difficult finding these foods around campus as the dining halls are practically filled with unhealthy foods.  The best thing you can do is try to incorporate these foods into your diet.  If you have any extra money, maybe skip driving through somewhere and go buy yourself some fruit.  Also, make sure to eat sweets only in moderation.

Go to the doctor

Seriously, if you feel sick, visiting a doctor on campus can do wonders.  Why suffer through it any longer than you may have to?  If you start to notice any unusual symptoms, or you’re just not feeling right, seeking out medical attention is the best place to start getting healthier.

If you think you may be sick, or just want to proactively take charge of your health, here are some numbers or websites that may help:

Pat Walker Health Center Medical Clinic: 479-575-4451; health.uark.edu

Pat Walker Health Center Women’s Clinic: 479-575-4478; health.uark.edu/womensclinic.php

Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS): 479-575-5276; health.uark.edu/caps.php

Mayo Clinic Symptom Checker: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/symptom-checker/DS00671

If you think you may be experiencing a medical emergency, call 9-1-1 immediately.

Sources: webmd.com, mayoclinic.com, womeninbalance.org, telegraph.co.uk, bostonmagazine.com, theguardian.com  

Adventurer. Writer.