15 Struggles of Being A Pre-Law Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Arkansas chapter.

First off, 99.9% of us never look as sharp as the bookworm on the cover does. Just saying. Pre-law students across college campuses have something to share – we are really tired of your questions. That being said, I would like to speak on behalf of most law students while I take the time to clear up these misconceptions and answer any questions you have. Please, no flash photography.

1. Q: You’re going into law? You must have great study habits. What’s your technique?     A: *blares extremely loud music* What did you say?

2. For law students, there’s always the underlying dread of actually having to look classy each and every day of your career. I mean, I like suit jackets and pencil skirts as much as the next female, but…

3. People tend to think we have it all figured out. I like to answer questions in class, but in reality, the only thing I actually know everything about is Harry Potter. Don’t get me started on how Hermione and Ron were never actually meant to be together. Also, Draco and Hermione are irrelevant. Go home.

4. Q: I bet you’re in it for the money, right?     A: *casually sips coffee* No, I just like to study.

5. I remember telling my professors that I was going into law. I will also never forget their reactions. Okay, I’ll definitely try and be the next Atticus Finch.

6. But there is nothing sexier than a female lawyer, am I right? As long as I don’t cut all my hair off…right?

7. The best part is, the vast majorty of us are really into agenda books and Motzart fetishes, so I don’t feel so alone. Except when everyone else knows what they’re doing. Then I definitely feel alone.

8. There will always be that one guy that Tweets a picture of his desk covered with textbooks, three cups of coffee, two paper weights and his iPhone. Screw those guys. Get with the program.

9. The worst part of being involved in law is learning from your elders. They have their own special way of making you feel like a complete moron.

10. Being a pre-law student, you feel privileged enough to sneak into the law library and study there. Of course, you never fail to notice the actual law students glaring at your pile of Sophomore Composition homework like it was so four years ago.

11. I can count on one hand the number of us who can actually tolerate most math majors. Maybe. I’m not really good with numbers.

12. Q: Can you help me with this essay? I’m just stuck on the conclusion.       A: Just turn it into your professor and give them a big ‘ole double doozie.

13. I love it when people tell me that I’ll be the right person to marry because I will be “bringing home the bacon”. Okay – one, I don’t really even like bacon. Two? I’m a total control freak and I still like to eat pizza in my underwear, and it is definitely not okay when you do it.

14. Having political discussions in class makes me more nervous than anything else in the world. I love being behind a point or two in the group discussion, and everyone looks at me like I just compared cheese to the White House. Maybe I did.

15. Finally, this is what I have to say to all of those disappointed looks you give me when I tell you where I’m headed. 

Tiffany Ward, a Junior at the University of Arkansas, joined the Her Campus Arkansas team in 2013 and now serves as the chapter President. Along with being an English major, Tiffany has a minor in Legal Studies and Pre-Law emphasis. Tiffany is a loyal member of Alpha Omicron Pi. Tiffany loves to write articles that provide advice and fun to her readers.