10 Things To Be Thankful For This Thanksgiving

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Arkansas chapter.

As Halloween is over and the holiday season is upon us, I decided to compile a list of 10 things to be thankful for. Although there is much more than 10 things I am thankful for, these are the things that make me especially happy.

1. Starbucks Coffee (or coffee in general)

This Thanksgiving season, I am thankful for coffee. Every morning before class, I grab a hot cup of coffee and suddenly feel invincible, like the whole day is ahead of me, ready to tackle—or maybe that’s just the caffeine.

2. Pictures of adorable animals

Okay, I know I’m not the only girl that appreciates pictures of cute animals. Most of the time when I don’t want to pay attention in Geology lecture, I just get on Twitter and look up “emergency kittens” and just stare at pictures of cats. Maybe that’s why I’m single (sigh).

3. Netflix

I don’t think I can stress this one enough. After months of borrowing my friends’ Netflix passwords, my parents finally got their own account. I don’t think I’ve watched so many Breaking Bad episodes in a single week. I am thankful to be able to watch entire seasons in one day—hellllloooo, how do you think I fell so in love with Chuck Bass?

4. Music

It’s a general one, but I love music. I’m thankful to discover new artists and for the ability to put in my headphones and go off into my own little world. It gives me inspiration to write, the drive to finish that workout, and genuinely just makes me happy.

5. My friends

One of the things I’m most thankful for are the wonderful people I’ve met through this crazy journey we call life. I love the friends I’ve made—the ones who have challenged me to better, the ones who make me laugh, and the ones who support me regardless. My best memories have been random trips to get ice cream or to Target and long nights spent driving to nowhere. My friends have made me who I am today.

6. Family

My mom calls us “The Big Fat Baptist Family.” We’re constantly eating, playing cards, and laughing too hard. I don’t think I’ll ever encounter a stronger, more loving group of people in my life, and I hope I’m half the people they are. I was lucky enough to have parents who have been the examples of strength and kindness, and lucky enough to have siblings I care deeply about.

7. Education

I was always a nerd, the essential “teacher’s-pet”. I apologize for all the questions I’ve asked in class, but I really do love school. I’m so thankful to attend the U of A where I have had the opportunity to explore my passions and major in something I truly love. I know girls around the world are fighting for equal education rights—sometimes even dying. I am extremely thankful for the ability to learn.

8. New Days

I am thankful for each and every new day and the ability to turn a situation around. I know that after a long, horrible day that tomorrow can be better. Although my circumstances may be harder each and every day, I know I become stronger and stronger. I have the ability to turn that new day into something amazing.

9. Laughter

I love laughing and I try way too hard to be funny. If that means embarrassing myself and making someone laugh, so be it. Laughter has made the hardest times of my life just a little brighter. Even when things seem bleak and like they won’t turn around, I am thankful for the funny people in my life who bring me laughter.

10. Naps

I love naps. I really love naps. Every time I have a bad day, I nap. Every time I have a good day, I nap. I mean why would I do homework when I can curl up in my comforter and take a nap? C’mon, naps may distract me, but they make me significantly happier. 

Photo Sources:  indulgy.com, redletterdayeblog.wordpress.com, frenchbydesign.blogspot.com, themomsplace.com 

Adventurer. Writer.