Your weird is showing

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Arizona chapter.

I’m no expert by any means but I do have a long term boyfriend that I could not imagine my life without, so I’m going to attempt to use situations we’ve been in and tell you everything I wish I had known. But first off, before even being in a relationship, it is important to understand and appreciate yourself, because, as cliché as it sounds, boys love your quirks. I promise. Girls put so much pressure on one another to fit in, to dress the same, to act the same, to look the same, it’s easy to get lost in the crowd of short skirts, low cut tops and high heels. So I’m encouraging you to be the girl who wears jeans and tennis shoes to a party. You may not get as much attention, but you’ll get the kind of attention you deserve. Unless of course you’re out looking for a simple hook-up, then by all means! But if you’re looking for a relationship, set yourself apart from the pack. So here’s how I know this works: I’m weird and quirky and I met my boyfriend at a party wearing jeans and checkerboard vans. I was sitting alone on the couch, he sat next to me, invited me to get a slushy, we stayed up till 6 am talking, and the rest is history. Some of my quirks: My checkerboard vans, they are dirty and falling apart but I love them and wear them with everything; I sing everywhere I go, whether it’s in the shower or the grocery store; My socks very rarely match, and when they do, they are never white. So take some time and think about what makes you weird and different. Don’t hide what makes you different, love yourself for it and I guarantee, in no time, someone else will too. 

I'm a journalism student at the University of Arizona.