Valentine’s Day…on a budget!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Arizona chapter.

Want to have memorable Valentine’s Day, but don’t have the cash to pull it off? Don’t worry, there are plenty of gifts to give and activities to do that don’t include big spending.

1.       Use your talents: Are you an incredible photographer or guitar player? Surprise your guy with a cool collage, or serenade him with a private concert.
2.       Plan a romantic picnic:  All you need is a blanket, some wine (or sparkling lemonade), a baguette and cheese, or even just desert to share. Too romantic? Just share a pizza.
3.       Go out for lunch instead of dinner:  Instead of paying the full price for an expensive dinner, dine out during the day and only pay lunch prices. Not only can you enjoy the sunshine, you will have the whole evening to do… whatever.
4.       Exchange “Love Coupons”: No one can pass down a coupon for a sexy massage or breakfast in bed, redeemable whenever the moment strikes.
5.       Create your own mixed bag of candy: Head to the store and pick out a selection of his favorite candies. Put it all in a nice bag or container, and complete it with a cute card.
6.       Try something new: Has he always talked about taking you paintballing? Now’s your chance to do something you know he’ll like.
7.       Use your CatCard: Instead of saving all your extra meal points until the end of semester,  head to the Redington Restaurant at the Union. Sit down for a special Valentine’s Day dinner from 6 to 8p.m., and just use your CatCard.
8.       Party: Who said couples had to be alone on Valentine’s Day? Invite over a group of friends and celebrate together with special Valentine’s Day drinks and snacks.
9.       Stargaze: Stars, a laser show, romantic music, and a chocolate fountain with strawberries. What more could you ask for? Experience some “Love Under the Stars” at the UA’s Flandrau’s Planetarium, only $5 per person. (8-10 PM)
10.   Whip up some love: Find a new recipe online and cook a dinner together that you both will love while drinking wine and listening to good music.

Photograph By Allison Mullally © 2011 

Yael Schusterman is a journalism senior at the University of Arizona. She has freelanced for half a dozen publications and is ready to transition from a print to an online focus. She maintains a permanent residence in New Jersey and her goal is to live in Manhattan. The AP wire has picked up one of her stories, "Theft at gallery yields sale to help artists," as member enterprise while working for The Arizona Daily Star in Tucson. She looks forward to working with the Her Campus Team and spreading awareness on the UA campus.