Survival of the Fittest: Eating Healthy During Finals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Arizona chapter.

As the year winds down we tend to become more concerned with what information we are cramming to into our brains than what we are putting in our mouths. Finals are the last set of hurdles before a month of rest and relaxation. But without proper nutrition you could find yourself treading on thin ice instead of gliding into winter break.  Here are some food groups to avoid and healthy counterparts that will have your body ready to take on the stress and concentration that exams require.

Avoid: 
Large Amounts of Sugar and Caffeine
Art Education Sophomore Erin Weber said that during finals “ I eat a lot more junk food because it’s easier to get to.” Although its tempting to run down to the vending machine and grab a Snickers or drop in to Starbucks and swipe your CatCard for a double- shot espresso, in the long term this is not the best solution. UA Nutrition Services Coordinator, Gale Welter MD said, “ The 2 worst offenders are sugar and caffeine.” They cause both your blood sugar levels and mood to fluctuate and ultimately result in both mental and physical exhaustion. In addition, caffeine has a half-life of 12 hours, meaning the coffee you drank at 9 pm is still coursing through your bloodstream as you toss and turn restlessly in bed 4 or 5 hours later.

Snacks that are heavy in starchy-carbs
The carbohydrates that are found in high starch foods like breads and bagels could have you snoozing away your study hours. Welter said they create more of a relaxation affect.  “If all you eat are starchy carbs you are going to be calming the anxiety, but creating more of a nap mode,” Welter said.

Embrace:
Mixed protein-carb meals and snacks
According to Welter protein stabilizes blood sugar and increases clarity of thinking. Yogurt, whole grain crackers, peanut butter, nuts and string cheese are all excellent options for the colliegette on the go. If you’re eating in the Union, a turkey sandwich on 9-grain bread from On Deck Deli is an excellent combo of long-lasting protein and healthy carbohydrates.

Hydration:
With the sun beating down it may seem that staying hydrated is a given to any Wildcat. Welter said that dehydration is an easy way to lose concentration and it can easily be confused with hunger and fatigue. If plain old H2O doesn’t do the trick, try a non-sugary alternative like crystal light.

Above all, plan ahead. You’re going to be busy, you may forget to brush your teeth and go one day too long without washing your hair but you can plan meals and snacks ahead of time.  Welter said, “Throw (snacks) in baggies if you’re going to the library,” or anywhere for that matter. Your GPA and tummy will thank you later!

For more information check out NutriNews and other literature on the Campus Health Website: http://www.health.arizona.edu/webfiles/hpps_nutrition.htm

My name is Jessica Cooper and in the Fall I will be a Senior at the University of Arizona. I am majoring in journalism with a dual minor in history and judaic studies. My focus is in both print and online journalism. I have loved being a part of the Her Campus team for the last semester and am so excited to be the campus correspondant for the 2011-2012 year.