Secrets from a Law Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Arizona chapter.

Are you thinking about applying to Law School? It’s not as easy as Elle Woods makes it seem. A soon to be law school graduate  who chooses to remain anonymous, offers some advice on what can make you or break you in law school.

Do you have any recommendations/ tips for students who are thinking about Law School? I think someone who is interested in law school should look into interning or volunteering at a legal aid organization during their undergraduate career. A lot of places look for college students to do simple administrative or secretarial tasks. It is a great way to find out what the legal community is all about in a low stress environment. It really helps you get into the swing of things and you learn a lot in the process.

What advice would you give to students applying to law school? I believe that picking the right law school for your personality is key to having a successful law school career. If you like debating and think litigation is what you want to do, why not go to a school with a great trial advocacy program? If you believe that you are destined to save the whales, why not look at who tops the lists for environmental law programs? Don’t pick a school solely based on the rankings because sometimes that highly ranked school won’t be the right fit for you.

How would you describe your law school experience? It has been really great. I have a great group of friends who support and help me when I need it. I don’t think anyone should go through law school alone. It is hard to be in a school for three years without a strong support system to back you up. One of the most important things I realized while completing my law school education was that each person at your school might someday be in the courtroom with you. You never know who will end up as a judge or on the other side of the courtroom against you. All the friends (and enemies) you make while in school will one day be your colleagues in the legal field.

How many hours a week do you study? I like to think of law school as practice for the real world. That means getting to school at 9a.m., and leaving at 5p.m., even if my classes end at noon. You are now at a professional school and therefore, the rules have changed. You are in a place with many adults who have been in the working world for years. You have to get into the habit of keeping a schedule and I think studying at the appropriate time is the first place you can start.

What are you classes and professors like? I enjoy the classes that teach you practical skills that you can use when you one day become an attorney. Last semester I took Alternative Means of Dispute Resolution. That class teaches you how to negotiate and mediate disputes. What many people might not realize is that most cases settle. That means a lawyer’s negotiating skills must be top notch to ensure their client gets everything they wanted and deserved. I believe each law student must hone their practical skills as well as their analytical skills in order to become the best attorney they can be.

What makes or breaks you in law school? I think your character makes or breaks you in law school. As I said before, everyone you are at school with might one day be in that courtroom with you. You don’t want a judge to remember that night you had one too many drinks at the bar. It will not help your case.

The idea of law school can be overwhelming, but a little research can go a long way. Take some time to figure out if law school is really for you. If you do decide to pursue a legal career, you’ll be like Elle Woods, saying, “What like it’s hard?”

Yael Schusterman is a journalism senior at the University of Arizona. She has freelanced for half a dozen publications and is ready to transition from a print to an online focus. She maintains a permanent residence in New Jersey and her goal is to live in Manhattan. The AP wire has picked up one of her stories, "Theft at gallery yields sale to help artists," as member enterprise while working for The Arizona Daily Star in Tucson. She looks forward to working with the Her Campus Team and spreading awareness on the UA campus.