The Secret to Tight Soft Skin

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Arizona chapter.

We will do anything to achieve moisturized skin free from cottage cheese, varicose veins and untimely rashes. What many do not know it that there is something natural that has been linked to riding dry skin and other ailments. It’s called shea butter and it comes from West Africa. You may see ‘shea butter’ on your lotions in your bathroom but this is known as refined. Refined shea butter is typically a cheaper method used in the production of mass quantities. Shea butter is naturally white or yellow. Once chemically refined, Shea butter looses its natural vitamins, minerals, and anti-oxidants due to bleaching. To reap all its benefits you must apply the butter naturally, meaning in its most raw form right off the shea nut that isn’t being sold in your local cosmetic aisles. 
            Pierre Dogbe is a vendor at the Tanque Verde Swap Meet in Tucson and says the all-natural shea butter absorbs into your skin and penetrates so deep that it does not evaporate. “It is a powerful healer and protector as well as made by hand.” Only women’s hands that is. “In Ghana only women can touch the shea butter nut. Men are not allowed,” said Dogbe. “The female touch is better during production.” West African women in places like Ghana are the harvesters of shea butter. Though shea butter grows in 20 countries on the west coast of Africa. Most of these women are from poor tribes whose only income is shea butter production. The website sheabutteremu.com is an online website that get shea butter straight from these tribes so that as much of the profit can go to these women and their families. Ordering from safe websites such as not only give charity to other African countries but guarantee a natural product. It is Africa’s golden gift.

My name is Jessica Cooper and in the Fall I will be a Senior at the University of Arizona. I am majoring in journalism with a dual minor in history and judaic studies. My focus is in both print and online journalism. I have loved being a part of the Her Campus team for the last semester and am so excited to be the campus correspondant for the 2011-2012 year.