The perfect sunglasses for your face

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Arizona chapter.

Along with summer comes promise of the beach, the pool, barbeques, tanning, and more.  What is the common denominator of all these summer-esque activities? Sunglasses. 

Whether your toughing out the desert heat in Tucson, heading to the surf in Cali, or laying out by the pool on the east coast, your going to need your go-to sunglasses that will look hot along with protecting you from the heat.
But finding the perfect shades for your face shape can be a challenge.  Here are some tips to help you find the best shape for your face.

SQUARE FACE- Avoid square shaped shades at all costs.  They will end up making your face look robotic and too angular.  Try rounded frames that will balance out your squared jaw.  If you want to make a statement go for the cat-eye glasses.  Not a lot of people have the ability to rock this look, but girls with square faces ace it every time.

ROUND FACE- It is exactly the opposite of square face.  You want to counteract your fuller cheeks and rounded chin with geometric frames.  The angles will make your face look longer and thinner.

HEART SHAPED FACE- You probably have a wide forehead and cheekbones, and a chin on the narrower side.  Try and find sunglasses that are bottom heavy.  By that I mean go lower or wider on the bottom then the top. This will balance your forehead while accentuating your rock star cheekbones.  This is another face shape that can rock the cat-eyes because it will offset your forehead. 

OVAL SHAPED FACE- You can pull off virtually any look.  Aviators are hot this season and you guys shine in them. Go for it!

TRIANGULAR FACE- You either have a wide forehead with a narrow chin or a wide chin with a narrow forehead.  For the first one, go with thin rimmed glasses that sit low on your face.  This will make the bottom half of your face seem bigger.  For the latter go for the retro style shades that are top-heavy.  This will have a narrowing effect on your chin because it will make the top of your face look wider in comparison.  For a triangular face of any kind, go for the I’m-obviously-a-celeb-but-trying-to-hide-behind-these-ginormous-sunglasses look.  You guys rock the oversized frames.

DIAMOND SHAPED FACE- You want to try and widen your narrow forehead and chin while highlighting your killer cheekbones.  Don’t by any sunglasses that are wider then the top of your cheekbones. Rounded frames will soften your angles, and top-heavy designs will widen your forehead. 

Good luck and have an awesome summer!!! 

Yael Schusterman is a journalism senior at the University of Arizona. She has freelanced for half a dozen publications and is ready to transition from a print to an online focus. She maintains a permanent residence in New Jersey and her goal is to live in Manhattan. The AP wire has picked up one of her stories, "Theft at gallery yields sale to help artists," as member enterprise while working for The Arizona Daily Star in Tucson. She looks forward to working with the Her Campus Team and spreading awareness on the UA campus.