This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Arizona chapter.

Who ever thought that something as insignificant as a profile webpage could act as a judgmental preface for the online world to view and use as intensified microscopes to peer into the details of our very lives? Others on Facebook have the ability to view whether you are single or in a relationship, where you work, where you live, what school you went to or are going to, what you are studying, your birthday, your hometown and more. If you are friends with a person on Facebook you are able to snoop through their list of friends and browse amongst their photos. You can keep up on their status updates and watch what comments they make on other friend’s statuses and photos. This invasion of privacy has become a worldwide popularity topic. Not only do people share their lives on Facebook; but businesses promote their products, artists display their work, tourist sites and restaurants brag about their popularity and events are advertised in a mass mannerism never imaginable before our generation’s technology exploded! But is all this social networking truly beneficial to our society?

We have all experienced some negative effects of Facebook. There are 4 types of major relationships that can be severely impacted through the use of social networking. Family, friends, work, and love relationships can all be impacted.  That is why it is necessary to take into account the influence you are having on others, and the image you are projecting of yourself. In order to help, I have compiled a list of Facebook etiquettes that EVERYONE should consider. Some of the things listed may be no-brainers to some, and may make no sense what-so-ever to others. I ask that you just put them into consideration and think about how each of the actions impacts your life outside of Facebook.

Pictures:
·      If you wouldn’t be ok with your grandma and grandpa seeing a picture, it probably shouldn’t be posted online for everyone else to see. Ultimately you have the freedom to post any (almost any) pictures you want online. However, as young women in college, do not forget to consider the eyes that are viewing those pictures of last Friday night’s memories you don’t even remember. Do NOT underestimate the power of social networking and do NOT underestimate the power of your possible future employers! Facebook has become a huge source of investigation for employers to check into their new employees. Don’t make the mistake of thinking that just because your profile has privacy settings you will be safe from inspection. Certain career positions such as police officers have specific background investigators that require the police officer under inspection, his/her spouse and sometimes other family members or coworkers to confirm friend requests from the investigator themselves in order to complete the inspection and move along in the interview process.
·      How your pictures perceive you as an individual is something else to consider. Yes it is hurtful, hypocritical and immature to judge someone but let’s face it; we are a world filled with people that judge by nature. Its what we do! So take a glance through your current pictures. If you see any pictures that strike you as unrepresentative and don’t appeal as the young woman you believe you are or want to become then think twice about exhibiting them for others to analyze.

Comments and Statuses:
·      As defined by Merriam-Webster dictionary, a comment is “an observation or remark expressing an opinion or attitude”. If you are not comfortable expressing an opinion about a person or matter in a face-to-face circumstance, you should not allow yourself to be willing to express that opinion over Facebook comments. Facebook creates a mask that we all feel we have the right to wear and therefore have the right to say whatever we think no matter the costs. I urge you to consider the costs and effects you may be having on those whose statuses or pictures you may be commenting on. Simply respect others and don’t make yourself appear insensitive by being careless and not filtering your thoughts before posting it online for all of Facebook to see.
·      KEEP PERSONAL ISSUES SEPARATE FROM FACEBOOK! At least to an extent. I know it can be extremely hard at times to not post your latest frustration about why your boyfriend (now ex-boyfriend) is such an inconsiderate, selfish jerk because you caught him making out with whom you thought was your BFF! Releasing some anger is understandable, so keep it unanimous in regards to who you are so frustrated with and leave the harsh details for a trusted friend or family member. In holding it together and not letting your emotions get the best of you I promise you will be the bigger person and will be seen as much more respectable in knowing how to keep your personal drama away from the eyes of hundreds.
Keep your stalking in check:
·      I know its ridiculously tempting to stalk your ex-boyfriend/girlfriend’s new significant other when your heart is breaking and you just can’t understand how they were able to move on so fast. You can’t stop asking yourself, “What in the world does she/he have that I don’t?” Lurking day in and day out will only make the process more painful in recovering and allowing yourself to move on as well. If you can’t control yourself minimize what you will see of their profile or even “un-friend” the ex. You gotta do what you gotta do!
·      Don’t let your stalking get so out-of-hand that you are losing interest in your own life and supplementing it in other’s. This is a very dangerous cycle that can lead to depression, low self-esteem, and loneliness. If you find yourself in this situation or are worried about a friend please visit the Counseling and Psych Services on campus. For more information check out the link http://www.health.arizona.edu/caps.htm.
 Facebook is a privilege to our society that needs to not be taken advantage of and kept in check. Doing so will create the best balanced life in social networking for individuals of all types.
Keep it clean and keep it classy ladies; you are lady wildcats after all!

My name is Jessica Cooper and in the Fall I will be a Senior at the University of Arizona. I am majoring in journalism with a dual minor in history and judaic studies. My focus is in both print and online journalism. I have loved being a part of the Her Campus team for the last semester and am so excited to be the campus correspondant for the 2011-2012 year.