Happy Healthy Super Bowl!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Arizona chapter.

It’s that time of year! The semester is kicking into gear, we are losing our motivation to make our own dinners, and bring our own snacks. So naturally, we grab a snickers, piece of gum, and worse than anything a, Starbucks drink. So, I’m here to tell you to reconsider. Start fresh! The perfect time to reboot your healthy habit is, wait for it…The Super Bowl! I know, you think I’m crazy. But, hear me out (well, read me out). I have fabulous healthy ideas for dips, sweets, snacks, and all our favorite game food. Bring one of these to the party and you’ll be considered a chef for the rest of the year! Here are simple and healthy ideas!

Fruit Dip
Ingredients:
1 small container of Low Fat Sour Cream
1 large container of Marshmallow Fluff
*Any type of fruit you’ll enjoy dipping

How:Grab a bowl that you don’t mind being occupied for a few days. Mix 1 cup of the sour cream with 2 cups of the Marshmallow Fluff. Stir well. Refrigerate and Dip! (You can add more fluff if you want it to be sweeter, but I’d start with 2 cups).

Pumpernickel Bread & Dip
Ingredients:
1 round loaf of Pumpernickel bread
1 small container of Low Fat Sour Cream
1 small container Dill Weed

How:Cut the center of the bread out *(keep the extra bread on the side), leaving a gaping whole large enough to hold a substantial amount of dip. *Make sure not to cut all the way through the bottom of the bread. Mix half of the Sour Cream with 7 shakes of the Dill Weed. Stir well. *If you cannot takes the Dill add as much as you want and continue stirring until well mixed. Take the extra bread that you cut out. Cut it into small dipping size pieces. Pour the dip into the center of the bread, arrange the pieces aside, and serve!

Hummus, Feta & Olives
Ingredients:
1 large container of Hummus (whichever brand or flavor you prefer)
1 container of Feta Crumble
1 Small container of fresh *Pitted Kalamata Olives
1 back of Whole Wheat Pita Bread

How:First break the Pitas in half. Then take the pita halves and slice them in half again. Take one piece of pita, open it up, spread the hummus lightly, add some Feta crumble, top it off with an Olive, close the pita and set aside. Repeat until you have filled all the Pita slices.

Here is a family recipe for a Pasta Saladthat will make you a Super Bowl host star!
Ingredients:
1 box of whole grain penne pasta
1 container of pitted kalamata olives
1 small jar of artichoke hearts
1 small jar of roasted red peppers
1 container of cherry tomatoes
1 large container of fresh mozzarella cheese
1 large clove of garlic
1 small red onion
Italian Vinaigrette (Whichever kind you prefer, check ingredients for sodium content).

How:
Bring water to a boil then add the pasta. When the pasta is finished, strain it and put it in a serving bowl. Toss in some olive oil. (This will keep the pasta from sticking). Set aside.
Next, cut the cherry tomatoes in half. Cut the peppers and olives, into smaller pieces. Chop the garlic and onion finely. Dice the mozzarella into bite sized pieces. Add artichokes and all of the ingredients to the pasta. Toss lightly, and add the vinaigrette as needed. Serve chilled. Sprinkle with some grated Parmesan cheese (optional).

These simple healthy horderves and entre will keep the calories low and the energy high, so you can root for your favorite team!

COUNT IT!

http://www.webmd.com/diet/healthtool-food-calorie-counter

My name is Jessica Cooper and in the Fall I will be a Senior at the University of Arizona. I am majoring in journalism with a dual minor in history and judaic studies. My focus is in both print and online journalism. I have loved being a part of the Her Campus team for the last semester and am so excited to be the campus correspondant for the 2011-2012 year.