Fun and Inexpensive Date Ideas

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Arizona chapter.

College student. These two words describe someone who wants to have fun but is unfortunately always broke. This can be a bit of a problem, especially in the dating world where first impressions are everything and the presence of that “wow” factor can make or break the chances of getting to the next date. Although our desire to go out is big and the amount of money in our pocket may be small, it is still possible to have a good time on a budget while with your significant other.
             Here are some great date ideas for you and your significant other that will not hurt your pocket or your chance to impress.

1) Go on a picnic
It may be a tad cliché and corny, but it definitely gives you and your date the chance to experience some fresh air and enjoy each other’s company. Nothing sets the mood better than a homemade meal and a warm sunny day.  So grab a blanket, a nice spot in a park and enjoy the fresh smell of the grass and the lush sight of trees.

2) Home-style Dinner and a Movie
Picking a restaurant for dinner that you both will like can be almost as much of a hassle as figuring out how to pay for the dinner itself.  Instead, decide on foods that you both want to eat and then help each other in cooking them. Half the fun will be spending time with each other while making dinner and then being able to appreciate the fruits of your labor. As for movies, rentals at Redbox are only $1, making it possible to have a cinematic experience without having to pay movie theatre prices.

3) Gym Time
Whether you have the same workout routine or not, going to the gym together allows both of you to be healthy and active as well as spending time with another amidst both your busy schedules. Working out together can bring both of you closer as you maintain and develop your physical being as well as your emotional relationship.

Although these are only a few suggestions, there are still many different ways of spending time with that special someone without having to lose half your paycheck. As long as you and your date are open to anything and enjoy each other’s company, you will have fun no matter the cost.

My name is Jessica Cooper and in the Fall I will be a Senior at the University of Arizona. I am majoring in journalism with a dual minor in history and judaic studies. My focus is in both print and online journalism. I have loved being a part of the Her Campus team for the last semester and am so excited to be the campus correspondant for the 2011-2012 year.