Fight the Holiday Bulge!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Arizona chapter.

Christmas cookies, candy canes, egg nog and every other scrumptious and tempting delicacy that parades your family’s kitchen are often hard to resist. After all as Americans we tell our selves that “at the first of the year ill go on a diet.” We have all said it. Though with a month away from the new year there leaves time for lots of calories to invade your body and keep you from that hot cocktail dress you’ve been eyeing. Here are six ways to consider keeping that holiday bulge under control!

Keep up the exercise. As much as we would love to snuggle on the couch with hot chocolate all day during holiday break, it is important to keep moving. Program your ipod to Christmas music and hit the gym. Burning those extra calories could help with unwanted weight.

Fruits and Veggies too. With all the carbs and sugar floating on the kitchen table, remember fruit and vegetables are full of fiber which can make you feel full longer. If you consume at least 5 fruits and vegetables before you snack on holiday junk, you’ll reduce the amount you intake or be so full you wont even feel tempted!

Cave in. Okay we are human and we love seasonal goodies. And we should! Understanding your limitations is key this holiday. But do not punish yourself. By limiting yourself to one snack a day to reduce your chances of overindulgence. Combine this with exercise to balance out your intake

Don’t party hungry. Sometimes we spend so much time getting ready or rushing around before an engagement that we forget to eat. Appetizers at parties can be killer and can fill you up before dinner has even begun! The best advice for holiday parties is to eat light before you go and skip the appetizers!

Beware of drinks. Drinks contain just as much caloric intake as certain foods and they are usually loaded with sugar. Holiday favorites like egg nogg are often full of fat. If you must have it look for low fat or fat free. Try other drinks like peppermint tea or flavored waters. Sugar free hot chocolate is also a suggestion—skip the fattening whip cream.

Socialize. The best distraction from food is conversation. Most the time we maneuver around the kitchen eating, though not really hungry. Don’t stick yourself to the kitchen counter or remain near the snack table at a party. Focus your energy elsewhere than food, like board games with the family or the hottie in the corner. Conversation, after all, is calorie free. 

My name is Jessica Cooper and in the Fall I will be a Senior at the University of Arizona. I am majoring in journalism with a dual minor in history and judaic studies. My focus is in both print and online journalism. I have loved being a part of the Her Campus team for the last semester and am so excited to be the campus correspondant for the 2011-2012 year.