Fashion Bloopers: Three things to check before class, a party and dinner.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Arizona chapter.

1.     Groom yourselves! I think you all know what I am talking about when I say, shaving, plucking and moisturizing is an important part of a woman’s routine.  No one likes to see forests growing out of your armpits, or even a light dusting of hair on your legs.  You can be sporting your newest pair of stilettos and the hottest dress in your closet, but a glimpse of overgrown body hair can ruin a look.  Not to mention, contact from the opposite sex! Picture this…you’re cuddling up to your boyfriend, watching a romantic movie, the lights are low and your spirits are high.  You guys are getting comfy, and he runs a hand over your legs and maims his palm on your leg stubble.  Can you say embarrassing?

Fix it! – I know shaving is a hassle but believe me, it’s worth it.  Over- grown armpit hair can lead to germ build up and odor, and leg hair is just not attractive.  Every time you take a shower, shave your pits.  As for your legs, I suggest shaving every other time you take your shower or at least once every week, depending on how fast your stubble grows back.   Here is a tip for you guys. If you use scrub on your legs after shaving, it will prevent razor burn and keep your legs looking smooth and shiny.

2.     Your hair! So you’re sitting at the Student Union with some friends, and you see a girl walk by. From the front, her hair is looking gorgeous, straight and chic, but as she walks by, there is a large curly mess in the back of her hair. Yes, thoroughly straightening your hair takes longer, and really, who has the time before you have to run out the door to class? But having a birds-nest sitting on the back of your head is just not cute.  If you are going to take the time to do your hair in the first place, you might as well do it right. 

Fix it! – Straightening your hair is tedious work.  It can take people from ten minutes to two hours depending on how thick your hair is or how much of it you have. Regardless, a UA student tends to be extremely busy and even ten minutes is too much time to spare in the morning.  My suggestion to you is to section off some time the night before, (after you finish that TRAD homework, of course) and do your hair right.  Run some heat protectant through your hair (Tresseme Heat Tamer Spray works wonders, and fits right into a student budget at $7 or less) and piece your hair off into sections. Straighten the sections one at a time, and only when you have the hair straight from root to ends, let down the next section.  It may take longer, but final result are flawless.

3.     Raccoon eyes!  For all of the eyeliner wearing readers, this one is for you.  We wake up early to apply our eyeliner.  We only leave the bedroom when it is perfectly applied.  What do we get for all of that hard work and time?  For it to be smudged halfway down our faces by the end of the day.  We have all been here and have been a victim of Raccoon Eye Syndrome.  Causes of REY can be falling asleep in class, great amounts of sweating due to the excessive exposure to the Arizona heat, the humid air at frat parties, and more.  Warning: do not attempt to manually smudge eyeliner off with fingers, this could lead to the spread of REY to your hands causing you to blacken everything you touch, making your eyes look worse and messier.

Fix it! –  We have finally found the cure to this awful disease.  After applying your eyeliner grab any translucent powder and any fluffy makeup brush you have (Covergirl has a translucent pressed powder that sells for $5), and apply this right under your eyes.  This powder prevents the eyeliner, whether it is liquid, gel, or pencil, from moving or smudging.  If you know you’re going to be sweating excessively that day and want even more control, take a matte black eye shadow and a thin makeup brush, and go over the eyeliner with this. Even with the eyeliner in your waterline, this will keep your eyeliner in place, and even make it more pigmented and long-lasting.  This tip also works for lipstick.  If you want it to last longer, and to keep from staining your teeth, apply a little bit of translucent powder on top, and swipe on a coat of clear gloss.  The color will last all night long!

Yael Schusterman is a journalism senior at the University of Arizona. She has freelanced for half a dozen publications and is ready to transition from a print to an online focus. She maintains a permanent residence in New Jersey and her goal is to live in Manhattan. The AP wire has picked up one of her stories, "Theft at gallery yields sale to help artists," as member enterprise while working for The Arizona Daily Star in Tucson. She looks forward to working with the Her Campus Team and spreading awareness on the UA campus.