Faculty Senate Meeting

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Arizona chapter.

Yesterday at the Faculty Senate meeting representatives from student governments ASUA and GPSC gave reports regarding their groups but neither one of them had anything to say about tuition rates for the upcoming school year.

This concerned Chair of the Faculty Wanda H. Howell. She voiced her concerns and asked the students if they could provide background information regarding President Hart’s intentions with tuition for next year. ASUA President Katy Murray said she asked for information regarding possible tuition increases but did not receive it.

President Hart was not at the Faculty Senate meeting to respond to these concerns about next year’s tuition rates to be voted on in three weeks.

In 2012 President Obama announced his Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals, DACA, policy which granted temporary relief from deportation for children who were brought illegally into the united states by their parents. The relief lasts for two years and is renewable.

Under DACA young people referred to as “Dreams” are granted authorization to remain within the states legally. These youth are then able to obtain work or attend college.

Currently Dreamers pay out-of-state tuition rates to attend the University of Arizona even if they have grown up in the state. At the meeting yesterday the Faculty Senate voted unanimously in support of granting Dreamers who qualify with in-state tuition. Both Pima Community College and Maricopa Community College have already passed these same policies.

After the meeting Senator Conway voiced his concerns for the current students regarding the Senate’s decision to support this policy.

“We should ask the students their opinions because they might be the ones paying for the decision in the end,” Conway said.

I'm a journalism student at the University of Arizona.