Dos and Don’ts of Going Out

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Arizona chapter.

A big part of college is going out and celebrating the young, uncertain and adventurous lives we lead as college students. Along with this exciting side of college life come a lot of unexpected situations that one should always be prepared for. To avoid getting yourself, and your friends, in undesirable situations familiarize yourself with the “dos and don’ts” of partying. These rules, if followed, are sure to earn you an incredible night with no regrets in the morning:
·      Dostart prepping for your night out by drinking plenty of water and eating filling meals earlier in the day. Keeping hydrated is the number one method of avoiding nasty hangovers.
·      Don’tleave your friends to fend for themselves. If you come together, leave together.
·      Doknow your limits.
·      Don’tleave your personals unattended. The buddy system pertains to more than just your friends. A new iPhone 5 lying on a counter in between a Mr. Jack Daniels and a Captain Morgan is bound to go missing!
·      Dohave a cab company number in your phone as back up. Even the most trusted friends can’t always be counted on in the midst of a crazy night!
·      Don’twear heels that kill your feet. You may think the pain is worth it because of the result of you looking ridiculously hot; however, when you have unattractive blisters all over your feet the next day you’re going to regret it.
·      Dosubstitute stilettos for a sexy pair of wedges! Wedges reach the height and satisfy the head turning effect we all want but are 10 times comfier.
·      Don’tlet people mix your drinks! If you are lacking in the mixing department then ask a trustworthy friend to make your drink for you.
·      Doinvest in a cute sling-crossover purse. It’s less of a hassle to keep with you.
·      Don’twear clothes you don’t feel yourself in. The uttermost confidence shines through a woman that knows who she is and owns it! Not much of a tight mini skirt girl? Throw on a cute and flirty romper. Add a belt, wedges, and jewelry and rock it like you own the party!
·      Doget in the habit of carrying $20 in cash. Most taxis have a minimum limit for running debit or credit cards and if the party (or your bed) is a short distance away, you may end up tipping the driver more than you like.
·      Don’tforget to wash your face before crashing. No matter how tired (or drunk) you are, too many nights with sweaty, caked on makeup can lead to unwanted break outs.
·      Dotake Aspirin or Ibuprofen if you drank a considerable amount before falling asleep to prevent headaches and other hangover symptoms the next morning.
Being smart and prepared can do wonders in the world of partying. Know your do’s and don’ts and you are promised a successfully amazing night to remember!

My name is Jessica Cooper and in the Fall I will be a Senior at the University of Arizona. I am majoring in journalism with a dual minor in history and judaic studies. My focus is in both print and online journalism. I have loved being a part of the Her Campus team for the last semester and am so excited to be the campus correspondant for the 2011-2012 year.