Don’t Worry, Be HAPI

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Arizona chapter.

Today’s schedule: class from 9 a.m. to 12:15 p.m., grab lunch, attend Spanish tutoring, go to work, come home, go to the gym, do laundry, start home work, eat dinner, finish home work, then go to sleep. If your schedule sounds as busy as this one, you probably are in need of a little relaxation time. However, with the start of a new school year, it seems as if there are not enough hours in the day to make time for “fun,” as the demands of school and other obligations take priority. But do not fear, for an all expense paid trip to Hawaii awaits you! Ok, maybe not a real all expense paid trip to Hawaii, but the University of Arizona’s Hawaiian and Pacific Islander Club (HAPI) offers its members something much better.
            Influenced by her mother, former UA student, Mia Websdale, restarted the HAPI club in 2009. Since the club’s inception, its members have strived to provide a second home for people who are from Hawaii and other Pacific islands, as well as to promote awareness of the Hawaiian culture here at UA. Dan Xayaphanh, the Program Director of UA’s Asian Pacific American Student Affairs (APASA) believes that,
“HAPI is a great contribution to not only APASA, but the UA Campus as well. It allows for a sense of belonging for both Hawaiian and all Pacific Islander students at the University of Arizona. They help share the knowledge and traditions of the islands with the entire campus as well as helping students adjust to the different lifestyle of the Southwest.”
Because the UA is such a renowned school, it is home to thousands of students from all over the world. HAPI provides students with an opportunity to socialize with others as well as to learn about another culture.
Why become a member of HAPI you ask? What truly makes HAPI unique is that it enables its members to take a vacation from the stresses of college life through upbeat meetings, exciting events, and various hands-on activities. The club offers many opportunities to make friends and meet new members through club socials, philanthropic events, and intramurals held throughout the year. In particular, the HAPI club hosts their annual HAPI Luau in which anyone and everyone is welcome to partake in the festivities. To prepare for such a big event, HAPI members and friends learn and perform authentic Hawaiian dances for their guests such as the Haka and the Hula. Members also get to partake in learning to prepare and cook foods that will be served at the luau such as macaroni salad and spam musabi (spam and rice wrapped in seaweed).  Co-President of HAPI, Kristina Valbuena, states that she, “… came to appreciate the Hawaiian culture more through learning to dance the Hula, cooking authentic Hawaiian dishes, and having the chance to bond with the other members and create lasting friendships.”
            Although energetic and fun as this club may seem, some people do not join because they feel that HAPI is exclusively for people of Hawaiian or Pacific Islander descent. This belief is completely false as HAPI is accepting of all types of people from all over. Sungano Siyavora, a sophomore and current HAPI member, testifies that by joining this club, “I learned to not be afraid of trying new things and to break out of my boundaries. I’m black, and they accept me for who I am; even if I’m not Hawaiian.” The HAPI club teaches others about the Hawaiian culture as well as offering some of the comforts of home to those who may be from Hawaii or the other Pacific islands. Colton Hironaka, a junior from Mililani, Hawaii, finds HAPI to be a cure for homesickness as, “The laidback vibe of the club, the food we make, and just spending time with the other members reminds me of home.”
            The HAPI club is an amazing way for students from all backgrounds to come together and be an ‘Ohana, or family. It is a great way to meet new people and make new friends all while learning about a different culture. The club and its members are warm and welcoming so stop by and say Aloha!

My name is Jessica Cooper and in the Fall I will be a Senior at the University of Arizona. I am majoring in journalism with a dual minor in history and judaic studies. My focus is in both print and online journalism. I have loved being a part of the Her Campus team for the last semester and am so excited to be the campus correspondant for the 2011-2012 year.