Diva Represents Diversity, Spreads Awareness

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Arizona chapter.

On Friday, Nov. 2, Colonia de la Paz residence hall held the sixteenth annual Diva
La Paz, staring 4 professional female illusionists. The social justice event aimed to
educate students and raise awareness about the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer
(LGBTQ) community.

The Black Cat of Tucson, Aijia Simone, hosted the event as performers walked the
runway, singing to popular songs. The over 300 attendees watched with excitement and
anticipation as the performers emerged from behind a red curtain with extravagant outfits
and saucy behavior.

For many students, the event was their first time experiencing anything of the type. The
event can be shocking, but mind opening nonetheless.

“Overall, attendees learn a lot,” said Morgan Hill, a resident assistant as La Paz hall
and organizer of the event, “Many of them have never seen a drag show, and so they’re
exposed to that plus they get the chance to ask the performers anything, which enhances
the educational experience.”

The event was much more than pure entertainment, as students were exposed to a
timeline of important events in the LGBTQ community, myth-busting facts, and on
campus resources. The performers were also open with details of their personal lives
during a post-show Q-and-A session.

“I loved it,” said UA student Destiny Cervantez, “It made me feel more open to
the LGBTQ community and what it is. Not only was it a lot o fun, but it was very
informational.”

In the last sixteen years that Simone has been hosting the show, she has seen progress
in the student population and the LGBTQ community. She recalled one year when eggs
were thrown at the performers from the halls surrounding the courtyard. Although it was
unexpected negativity, she said, it brought more to the purpose of the event, showing
attendees first hand the reality of what the LGBTQ community faces in society.

“More people feel it’s safer to identify as LGBTQ or an ally,” said Hill, “ I think there
has been some progress, but things like the comic in the Daily Wildcat set us way back.
There’s progress overall, but not necessarily to the extent that it’s needed.”

Nothing gets accomplished over night. Still, the whole conversation humanized the issue
that so often becomes purely political, preaching a doctrine of acceptance for all.

“Whatever anyone is they what they supposed to be,” said Simone, “So, just get over it.”