This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Arizona chapter.

Brendan McHugh
UA Alumni 08’
Major: Regional Development
Hometown: Seattle, Wash.

This campus celebrity is one held dear to our hearts. He provides an important service to this college community; think of him as a healer. You may be asking yourself, where do I know this man from? Chances are your memory is a bit foggy. You have probably encountered him in a poorly lit place, loud music pulsing, with a questionable blue drink in your hand. Meet Brendan McHugh, also known as “Hot Ben’s Bartender.” McHugh worked at local hot spot Gentle Ben’s Brewing CO. for almost 6 years before leaving us abruptly. Before the tears start to swell, this is not McHugh’s obituary. He has left the desert to pursue his master’s degree in Ohio…so it might as well be an obituary.

HC: When did you start working at Gentle Ben’s?
McHugh: I started at Ben’s after moving back from Australia in 2006. I got my start as a bartender when I studied abroad. I was having a cigarette outside of a bar and started checking ID’s in this long line as a joke. One of the door guys approached me and basically offered me a job. I had never bartended but started as a barback for a couple weeks and then got into bartending.

HC: What has been your funniest moment as a bartender at GB’s?
McHugh: Funny shit happens all the time. There was a girl right before Christmas break that got up on a table. She started dancing and her skirt was completely pulled up and it just so happened that she wasn’t wearing any underwear that night. We’ve come up with code words for things like this happening, boobs popping out, skirts up, etc. With the code words we can alert the other bartenders without being too obvious.
(If you ever hear the word Missouri, please check for wardrobe malfunctions – HC)

HC: Best night?
McHugh: After the last Red and Blue game the NBA was still on lockout and Richard Jefferson and Jason Terry rocked out a $4,000 tab. They bought the entire bar kamikaze’s. Chase Budinger and Channing Frye were behind the bar with Jefferson and Terry just pouring drinks for everyone. They told us to leave the tab open and they’d cover it. It was the most fun I’d ever had. I can’t imagine having a better night at work.

HC: Do you ever get annoyed dealing with intoxicated people?
McHugh: Everyday, all the time. Just recently we had to 86 (ban) this girl. She put gum in the printer, threw limes at the bartenders, slapped a drink out of my friend’s hand and then had to be carried out.

HC: What’s your least favorite drink to make?
McHugh: Hand Grenades, they’re a pain in the ass and we really don’t make that much money off of them. At the same time, it is always fun to see like 20 people take them at once.

HC: Favorite drink?
McHugh: Kansas City Ice Water. I’m the person that made them famous. It includes vodka, gin, lime-juice, soda, and sprite. It tastes like alcoholic sprite and puts you on your ass.

HC: What made you choose UA for undergraduate education?
McHugh: I wanted to do something new and different and I knew no one coming here and no one living here. I love the idea of a fresh start. That’s why I’m going to Columbus and why I went to Australia. It’s always nice to do something new.

HC: What was your favorite thing about UA?
McHugh: You can have a pool party in February. I also love the fact that you can meet anybody in town and expect to see them the next night without having to call them. There’s always a friendly face and that’s what makes it so hard to leave. No matter what you’ve got a friend in Tucson. – And you can have pool parties in February.

HC: Had you always planned on attending graduate school?
McHugh: No, I applied to probably a hundred jobs over the past four years and there’s nothing for land development so I figured I might as well go back to school.

HC: What degree are you attending graduate school for?
McHugh: City and regional development with an emphasis on international relations at Ohio State University. My ultimate career goal is to work for international development companies helping the middle class in third world countries. Basically working for the United Nations but not, because they’re evil and run by the corporate elite. I’m a hippie.

HC: Tell us one thing most people wouldn’t know about you.
McHugh: I’m actually insanely shy. If I don’t know anyone I won’t talk, but then when I finally do, I don’t stop. I’m also a great hugger. People are actually terrified of me and think that I’m the meanest person but really I’m a giant teddy bear. I only look mad.

HC: What advice would you give to people graduating?
McHugh: Stay diligent. The economy sucks but there’s always a job somewhere, you’ve just got find your niche.

Whether it’s after a long day, finals week or just your usual Thursday night; McHugh has long provided a friendly face and a strong drink. One of the things most treasured by students at University of Arizona is the college town environment. I want to know the person behind the bar making my drinks. McHugh is not a campus celebrity for his good looks or funny demeanor but rather for making college seem a little more like home. We can rest easy knowing that third world countries will one day receive amazing land developments and learn that AMF’s really do make you adios. 

My name is Jessica Cooper and in the Fall I will be a Senior at the University of Arizona. I am majoring in journalism with a dual minor in history and judaic studies. My focus is in both print and online journalism. I have loved being a part of the Her Campus team for the last semester and am so excited to be the campus correspondant for the 2011-2012 year.