Belly Dance Weight Away

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Arizona chapter.

Are you sick of those routine workouts at the gym? Want to try something fun and exciting as well as burn calories? Then belly dancing may be for you! If you are wondering what makes belly dancing worth it, consider first feeling sexy in a sequenced beaded brassiere and a long flowing skirt that happen to weigh five pounds.  Next, know that because belly dancing is about isolated body movements, certain dances focus on those hips and the abdomen. The arms are also integrated into the dance, so you can feel a workout in the back of your arms. Delores Pritchard is a belly dancer for the Sahara Dancer troupe and says, “If you put on a good piece of music and just get lost in it, you can dance for hours.” Talk about giving those stomach muscles a serious wake up call. One hour of intense belly dancing can burn around 300 calories, adds Viani Lopez, another dancer in the Desert troupe.

Belly dancing can also improve slouchy posture, which is good for your back and overall stance. During the actual dance to protect the back, the stomach is tucked under and lifted through the rib cage to create a straight spine, keeping the shoulders down. Originally the art of belly dancing was contained to one spot, where the dancer performed on her knees or stood. Now, the dancer works the stage as she dances moving all over, adding extra movement. Common motions in the dance include the snake where a dancer shifts her hips from side to side working the motion upward with her torso. Another well-known move is the hip drop, where the dancer shifts her weight to one side and in a rapid motion drops her hip upward and then downward.

Belly dancing is a ritual performed over many Middle Eastern countries and varies in tradition. There is difference in flavor and in music. The dance is often performed during special occasions like weddings and parties. However, anyone willing enough can take studio classes or join dance troupes. So if you are feeling adventurous, tap into your exotic side and get lost in the movements and culture of belly dancing.

My name is Jessica Cooper and in the Fall I will be a Senior at the University of Arizona. I am majoring in journalism with a dual minor in history and judaic studies. My focus is in both print and online journalism. I have loved being a part of the Her Campus team for the last semester and am so excited to be the campus correspondant for the 2011-2012 year.