Beat the routine blues at the Rec

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Arizona chapter.

Time reports that the most broken new years resolution is losing weight and getting fit, but this does not appear to be the case at the U of A’s Rec Center. With fitness classes in full swing and iron pumping at all hours of the day there is hardly a dull moment. But are you stuck in the same boring routine?  Is even the most pulsing remix of the Black Eyed Peas not enough to get you back on the elliptical for the 4th time in a row? It may be time to explore some of the Rec’s lesser-known options for an energizing new routine. It’s never too early to start burning off all those Valentine’s chocolates and candy hearts that will inevitably be consumed in the coming weeks.

Group Fitness classes of all varieties are an excellent way to break up your routine. According to Jessica Castro, who works part-time at the Rec, Zumba and Turbokick are among the most popular classes.  If you’re looking for a great cool down or warm up, yoga classes are some of the most numerous on the schedule. The emphasis in these classes isn’t calories burned but stretching, balance and breath control. 

Katie Kelly, a pre-nursing and public health sophomore, is a frequent visitor to the gym who recently decided to take advantage of one of the free intro to spinning classes that the Rec is offering bi-weekly until February 12. Kelly said,  challenging but fun and was impressed by the 300 calories she was able to burn in the workout. All other classes are available for a flat fee of $7 per class, or $79 for the semester,  considering you’d have to attend about one class a week to get your money’s worth. It is  definitely worth the down payment, or you can charge it  to your Bursars account.

If you’ve yet to see the fruition of the multi-million dollar renovation project that was completed last year, brace yourself. Say goodbye to the previous cramped weight room where there was nary a sports bra in sight among all the muscle pumping jocks. Kelly comments, “I love how cardio is combined with the weights, no more waiting in line and you don’t feel awkward if your a girl going in.”

While pedaling away furiously on the bikes, you may have gazed down into the courtyard area where the rock wall is housed and wondered, one of several things. What is that? Is it art? Do people use it? Can I use it? It is in fact a climbing wall that is maintained by the Outdoor Adventures program, and your membership already pays for you to use it. However, they provide much more than rental climbing shoes. Kayaks and canoes loom overhead as you walk into the office located directly behind the rock wall.  The basic rundown of the program is this: they offer a variety of group trips at varying rates; from hiking, to skiing, and canoeing.
According to Robert Shuman, environmental science freshman, and also an employee of Outdoor Adventures, the most popular programs are the day and evening hikes. With temperatures in the 70s this month what better way to enjoy it than in the Saguaro National Park or Tucson mountains. I’m sure all your relatives and friends still encased in layers of scarves and parkas will be green with envy as you complain about all the tan lines you’re getting. You don’t have to be Lewis and Clark (or Sacajawea, for that matter) to participate. Shuman said, “If you don’t know anything about hiking or canoeing you can still come and have fun.” Its a fantastic opportunity to get out and see the countryside and give your eyes a rest from all the brick around campus he said.

So now comes the part where I implore you, the reader, who is switching between tabs from Facebook, to Catmail to Twitter, while simultaneously doing homework, to dig out your sneakers, the sweatpants that make your butt look good and grab a water bottle. The rec schedule accommodates early birds and night owls with its generous hours: Monday through Thursday the Rec is open from 6 a.m. to Midnight. Friday it’s open until 11 p.m., Saturday from 8 to 9 p.m. and Sunday from 10 a.m. till Midnight. If you’re going to stay on the Internet, check out the links below for more information about the programs!

Campus Rec Homepage- http://campusrec.arizona.edu/

Outdoor Adventures- http://campusrec.arizona.edu/activities/outdoor_adventures/about.php

Group Fitness Classes- http://campusrec.arizona.edu/classes/group_fitness.php

Yael Schusterman is a journalism senior at the University of Arizona. She has freelanced for half a dozen publications and is ready to transition from a print to an online focus. She maintains a permanent residence in New Jersey and her goal is to live in Manhattan. The AP wire has picked up one of her stories, "Theft at gallery yields sale to help artists," as member enterprise while working for The Arizona Daily Star in Tucson. She looks forward to working with the Her Campus Team and spreading awareness on the UA campus.