Be An Extreme Counponer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Arizona chapter.

College is expensive. We have all been there: do I spend my last 20 dollars on groceries for the week or do I put it towards that handle of Smirnoff that will get me through the weekend? Well of course the later of the two, because really, how many groceries can you buy for 20 bucks?
            I might have a solution so that you don’t have to decide whether or not to nourish yourself. Couponing! It’s not just for those crazy coupon ladies that TLC sensationalizes or stay-at-home mom’s with hours of spare time. With an hour of preparation each week, you could cut your grocery bill in half.
            The first step is starting your coupon collection. There are tons of websites available that actually find local coupons and deals for you, making it easier than ever. Some favorites include bargainbeliever.com, thekrazycouponlady.com, and desertsdealdiva.com.  
            Many couponers keep organized by sorting coupons by category in a binder. By doing this, you are able to locate a specific coupon in a matter of seconds. It is important to keep the binder up to date, because coupons do expire.
            When trying to save as much as possible, focus on using coupons on sale items. Grocery stores, such as Fry’s, will then allow you to double coupons. For instance, a 50-cent coupon would be worth one dollar.
            Another large expense for most college girls is beauty products. Making a run to Walgreens to grab some shampoo and conditioner can quickly turn into a 100-dollar trip. Walgreens offers register rewards, which you can receive if you make qualifying purchases of eligible items advertised in their weekly-ad. At checkout, you receive the rewards, which can be used on your next shopping trip.  So with just a few hours of preparation, buying face wash and some mascara doesn’t have to mean sacrificing other expenses.
            Get started now! Visit websites such as coupons.com, redplum.com, and smartsource.com to head start the beginning of your coupon addiction. After your first shopping trip, I guarantee you will be wondering why you didn’t do this sooner. The “broke college girl” will no longer apply to you.

My name is Jessica Cooper and in the Fall I will be a Senior at the University of Arizona. I am majoring in journalism with a dual minor in history and judaic studies. My focus is in both print and online journalism. I have loved being a part of the Her Campus team for the last semester and am so excited to be the campus correspondant for the 2011-2012 year.