This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Arizona chapter.

Austen Thompson
Year: Senior
Double Major: Physiology
                         Molecular Cellular Biology
Hometown: Phoenix, Ariz.

Shirts are optional in Arizona, especially if you’re on the University of Arizona Swimming and Diving team. Swimmer Austen Thompson has no problem stripping down, for swimming meets of course. In his spare time Thompson hangs out with friends, runs for Homecoming King, and double majors in physiology and molecular cellular biology. Of course there’s always spare time for medical school applications. To make all of our lives seem a little more inadequate let me share that like fellow campus celebrity Adam Ritter, Thompson also plans on attending the 2012 Olympic swimming trials.

HC: We’ll get into swimming but first, who would you say your Dream Girl is?

Thompson: Olivia Wilde, I’m in love with her; marry me. If that doesn’t work out, I like girls that are down to earth and fun to hangout with. Anyone that I can easily get along with is cool to me; it doesn’t hurt if you’re attractive. I need a girl that can be witty and keep up with my friends, they can be kind of harsh at times and she has to know how to handle that.

HC: Favorite college moment at UA?

Thompson: Two years ago, a couple of my teammates and me decided to support our friends on the girl’s volleyball team during a big game. We painted ourselves red and blue with various players’ numbers on our bodies. We went to the game in parkas, and at one point dropped the parkas, just wearing speedos, and cheered like crazy. We got kicked out for clearly looking too good or maybe just the being half naked part. Either way, I think it provided a good distraction for the other team.

HC: You’ve made Homecoming court, what would it mean to be Homecoming King?

Thompson: I think it would just be a great honor; my chance to represent the school that I love. I’ve been bleeding red and blue since my first day on campus. It would be the perfect cap to my senior year and a great way for me to give back to the school that has given so much to me.

HC: As a candidate, what should people know about you outside of your accomplishments?

Thompson: People should know that I’m a nice, fun, guy. I like meeting new people and getting out there and being social. If you ever see me on campus, come say Hi. I like having a good time but I’m also a bit of a nerd. I’m constantly trying to learn about new things about science and frequently read research articles.

To give you a little bit more information about Thompson I had him run through a brief favorite’s section.

Favorite Restaurant:
T: Old Peking
Favorite Bar:
T: Gentle Bens
Favorite warm up song:
T: It’s between Killa’s by Lil Jon or my classic favorite, Firework by Katy Perry
Favorite physical feature in a girl:
T: A nice smile
Favorite music genre:
T: Country
Favorite article of clothing:
T: Speedo
Favorite color:
T: Red and Blue
Favorite animal:
T: Armadillo
Favorite Movie:
T: Hot Tub Time Machine
Favorite book:
T: The Illustrated Man by Ray Bradbury
Favorite show:
T: House is my all time favorite and probably Blue Mountain State

HC: What are your goals after college?

Thompson: I plan to keep training in swimming for as long as I can. I’d love to stay in swimming; I love the sport. As long as I keep getting better, why quit? I will be at the Olympic trials in 2012, it is really hard to make the U.S team but the reason you go to the meet is to have the race. Crazier things have happened so it’s always a possibility I am applying to medical school and when I do get into med-school I’ll probably have to stop competitively.  

HC: What schools are you looking at?

Thompson: I’d love to go to UA because I love Arizona. I don’t want to leave. I’m also thinking about University of Texas, Ohio State, Emory, and a few others. I want to go to medical school where I have family or family friends; somewhere where I can make a comfortable transition. I want to be a doctor because I’ve always been interested in science. Right now endocrinology is really grabbing my attention but I want to wait until I get into med school to really decide what direction I’ll go. I want to know the inner-workings of the body and be able to help people. The knowledge behind it is what really drives me.

HC: When did you start swimming?

Thompson: I started competitively when I was 10-years-old and have been doing it ever since. I tried out for other sports but didn’t find anything I was as good at. Some of my good friends swam with me and actually one of my good friends was on the same club team as I was and swims with me here now. I love the racing aspect of swimming. I was never big into team sports but I’ve always enjoyed racing.

HC: What would you name as your biggest accomplishment through swimming?

Thompson: It was probably last year and this summer. At last years NCAA meet I became All American in all three of the races I did there. I was seated first going into the final but ended up having a bad race that night, still it was one of my proudest moments. This year I went into the U.S. Nationals and placed fifth, that was huge for me.

HC: You’ve got to be the golden child…?

Thompson: My parents have given me every opportunity to succeed so I never want to disappoint them. However, I do have an older sister. She is a nurse in Phoenix and I look up to her a lot. 

HC: Last but not least, any advice to your peers?

Thompson: Especially if you’re a freshman, enjoy college but don’t let it get the best of you. Have a good time you’re going to remember this for the rest of your life — and don’t do drugs.

Austen Thompson is a character and a good candidate to have in our Homecoming Court. He’s intelligent, profoundly athletic, and not awful to look at. If you think this wildcat has what it takes to upgrade from Campus Celebrity to Campus King make sure you cast your vote as polls open next week. 

My name is Jessica Cooper and in the Fall I will be a Senior at the University of Arizona. I am majoring in journalism with a dual minor in history and judaic studies. My focus is in both print and online journalism. I have loved being a part of the Her Campus team for the last semester and am so excited to be the campus correspondant for the 2011-2012 year.