alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Why College Students Need Dogs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

Dogs are called “man’s best friend” for a reason and I’m here to support that statement. Collegiettes lead very hectic, fast paced, and sometimes stressful lives which is exactly why we should have more dogs in our lives. Now I’m not saying it’s the best idea to go out and get a dog if you don’t have the time or money to support having a pet. Obviously not all apartments or student housing complexes allow dogs on the property but if yours does, you might consider buying a pup!

Every active animal deserves time to be free to explore nature and in Boone there are plenty of places where you can take your dog to do exactly that! Just like college students need time to exercise and relax so do dogs. Getting a dog can help you get into a new work out routine because they need to be walked every day. Playing fetch with an energetic puppy will help you relieve stress and wind down after a long day. Working out is always more fun when you’re with someone else so next time you’re walking, running, or bicycling you can bring a dog and both of you will stay fit.

Dogs are extremely social animals that live to be in companionship with their owners. Investing time and energy into loving and caring for a dog will result in the dog loving you right back. There are occasional on campus events that the university hosts with dogs for therapy and often these occur during midterms or exam week. Definitely take advantage of these opportunities to interact with our canine friends and reduce the tension in your life!

College students that don’t live with a roommate can benefit the most from having a dog around at home.  Coming home to an empty house every day can get quite lonely and while the living alone lifestyle may be right for some, others may enjoy the quiet company of a loyal dog. Because dogs are such social creatures, they give you more reasons to plan outdoor activities and increase contact with people in community settings.

Although budgeting money is not something that most collegiettes like to do, buying a dog will help you learn how to keep a watch on your money. Dogs require more than just food and water everyday but also toys to play with, check up visits at the vet, bedding, and even grooming. Dog food can get expensive with certain higher priced brands and if your dog as a special food requirement that might cost you more. Having to spend money on all of these things will really force you into budgeting for daily expenses each day.

If you’re not able to get a dog while you’re in school for one reason or another there are still ways to go about getting your weekly canine-fix! The local humane society is open most days for volunteers to drop in and help clean and play with the cats and dogs. Every now and again, different on campus organizations will sponsor events to have puppies on campus “for rent” for a certain amount of time; also another great way to play. The myth that college students are too irresponsible to care for an animal is just that, a myth. Consider adopting a dog today and it could be one of the best decisions you make all semester!

Alla Hill

App State

Alla Hill is a Junior at Appalachian State University working towards a degreee in Nutrition and Foods with a concentration in Dietetics. She is originally from Greenville, SC but loves being able to call the High Country home for now! Alla's interests include creative writing, hiking, shoe shopping, cooking with friends, collecting bumper stickers, and tumblr blogging.