What to Wear on the First Date based on Boone Restaurants

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

So you have plans to go out this weekend with the guy in class who finally asked for your number, now’s the stressful part… what to wear? If you haven’t been out to a lot of the main dinner locales in Boone, it might be hard to know exactly what is and is not appropriate for a date at any one of these specific locations. Here’s an easy guide to looking good no matter where he’s taking you, as long as you know where you’re headed, we can help you with how to get dressed for it…

Group 1: Casa Rustica, Makotos, The Peddler, Vidalia, Char, The Gamekeeper, and most options in Blowing Rock

These are the handful of more formal restaurants that will allow you to pull off an outfit that might seem out of place in some other Boone destinations. Heels are definitely acceptable (don’t forget to practice walking in them if needed!) and you can pretty much wear anything from a dress to jeans as long as you keep it classy and appropriate. Try to avoid anything that looks like it strictly belongs in a dance club, you’ll most likely be dining with guests other than students, and you don’t want to stick out as the girl who looks like she’s ready to dance on top of the bar rather than order a drink at it. Also, stay away from anything resembling a sneaker or flip-flop. Use this as an opportunity to wear the more swanky pieces of your wardrobe that you’re not likely to wear to class on any given day.

Group 2: Our Daily Bread, Proper, Café Portofino, Red Onion, Hokkaido, Chai da Thai
These restaurants are a step less dressy than the first group, but you can still get away with some of your more chic outfits without feeling silly. While you are still safe with jeans and heels, it might be best to skip the little black dress for some of these places. That is, unless you’re pairing a little dress with the tights, boots, and scarves that we are all loving so much this fall.

[pagebreak]

Group 3: Macados, Capones, Mellow Mushroom, Black Cat, Trolley Stop, Boone Bagelry, etc.
This is the most casual category when it comes to dining out, which gives you the most options to consider while getting dressed. These places aren’t the typical scene for sexy stilettos or your cutest new cocktail dress, but that doesn’t mean you can’t still look fabulous. Just keep in mind, some of the food at these spots is messier than most traditional date night food (wing night anyone?), so prepare accordingly!

Group 4: The Cafeteria (yes, this includes McAllisters)
No offense intended, but consider not considering this a “date-date.” There are plenty of notable spots to eat within walking distance of campus if neither of you has a car, and you deserve to feel more special than Chick-Fil-A nuggets paid for by his meal plan.

As long as you’re confident and comfortable with yourself, you’ll look great no matter what you decide to wear. Outside appearance can really pale in comparison to the importance of your special someone, but it’s always nice to take the guesswork out of what might be appropriate for a night out to any one of the great restaurants that Boone has to offer!

Laura Maddox is a Senior at Appalachian State University. Laura was born and raised in Charlotte, NC but loves the mountain air in Boone. She is one of four kids and has an identical twin sister. Laura enjoys reading, fashion, blogging, traveling, chocolate, lots of coffee and riding in the car with the windows down. She has a knack for creative writing, doodling and procrastination. Laura plans on moving to Boston after graduation to pursue a career in the advertising industry as a copywriter. Laura loves APP and will always be a Mountaineer fan!