What to Take and Leave Behind From College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

The semester is coming to an end and for us seniors it is the end of one very big chapter and the beginning of the next. Most would say that the college years are the best of our lives and, as a senior about to graduate, I can truly say college has been one heck of a ride. There were moments of complete uncertainty, anxiety, excitement, adventure, and change. College doesn’t just prepare us for our careers, but we learn, outside of the classroom, about the world and mostly about ourselves. Here are some life lessons you should take from college and some habits you should leave behind.

Leave Behind
The drama – We thought after high school there would be none of this, but in the land of sleep deprivation, more hormones and alcohol, among other things, drama is bound to happen. Leave all that extra baggage behind and grow from it rather than dwell on it. Hopefully upon receiving your diploma, petty things like what he said or what she said will remain just that and you will be able to truly focus on what’s important in life.

Your diet – The dollar menu, ramen noodles, vending machines and caffeine are the usual during these four years (or more) for college students. Leave that crappy diet behind! There is a reason these food choices cost less than a dollar and a reason why food in vending machines takes forever to spoil. Treating your body right will result in long-term health benefits mentally and physically. Hopefully we will have the financial abilities to afford healthier food choices. :)

Your alcohol intake –
You have heard that after college, it is called alcoholism. Well, it’s true! Unfortunately our bodies just can’t take the amount of alcohol we’re used to consuming without abusing them. Your body can’t be 21 forever…oh and there are no “beepers” and “safe ride” in the real world, just taxis that cost you an arm and a leg.

Your not-so-professional Facebook and Tweet posts – They may have been funny during college, but there comes a point in all our lives when we have to be just a little careful about what we’re posting on our social media. Sure we can make things private, but are things on the Internet ever really “private”? Try to be more aware of what your posting. Your cyber reputation is just as great as your real world one, so treat it as such!

Procrastination – While this may be a norm for college students all around; this is one norm that doesn’t cut it post graduation. Have you heard of the saying, “Don’t put off until tomorrow what you could do today”? Deadlines are way more hardcore in the real world than they are in college and in some cases they definitely cost more monetarily and can even cost you your job. Don’t risk it. The time-management skills that have been engrained in us should be practiced. Work doesn’t get easier after graduation, but the way we handle it could make it a little more bearable.

[pagebreak]

Take
Budgeting tactics – One thing I have definitely learned in college is how to budget my money. It is definitely an important skill and tool to have, so don’t ever forget it! You may be able to afford the more expensive brand of tissue paper, but does it mean you have to? Not necessarily. Don’t overspend and remember how to budget your money. If you can live off of virtually no paycheck, you can definitely live with budgeting one.

Relationships – One of the most important things to never leave behind in college is the relationships you’ve built throughout your college career – professionally and personally. In college you learn how to live with one another, work in a million group projects, and meet some of the most influential people. The friendships made in college are absolutely the most long lasting because you go through a lot of personal growth and change. If your friends can love and support you through the crazy college years, they are sure to stick around a lot longer. Your professional connections in college are just as important. These are the individuals you can look up to and the ones that will help you with your professional endeavors. They hold the keys to the doors of opportunity. Don’t forget about them!

Motivation and inspiration – For me anyway, college has been one of the most inspirational and motivational times in my life. I am constantly surrounded by inspirational individuals who want to change the world and have the motivation to do so. Don’t ever lose that spirit. In the midst of more strict schedules and the grain of everyday life, don’t forget about the inspiration that once flowed through every cell in your body. Stay inspired and continue to inspire others!

Writing skills – I think everyone can agree that we are all absolutely D-O-N-E with writing assignments and formal papers, however, don’t let that hard work go to waste! In the majority of jobs out there, writing is an important skill to obtain and maintain. All the grammatical lessons we’ve learned should always stick with us even if when we’re not asked to write APA or MLA-styled papers anymore.

Sense of possibility – College is a representation of possibilities and opportunities. When we leave college, we have the whole world in front of us with a degree right by our side. We feel as though we can face world head on, whether that is climbing up the corporate ladder, traveling the world, or dedicating our time to something we’re passionate about. I hope the sense of possibility we feel post graduation continues through the rest or our lives. I hope you don’t ever feel stuck in your life and you feel as though there are always possibilities.

Good luck to all graduates! I hope college was as great of an experience for you as it was for me. Take what you’ve learned in college and grow from it. College is just a building block for the rest of your life! 

Laura Maddox is a Senior at Appalachian State University. Laura was born and raised in Charlotte, NC but loves the mountain air in Boone. She is one of four kids and has an identical twin sister. Laura enjoys reading, fashion, blogging, traveling, chocolate, lots of coffee and riding in the car with the windows down. She has a knack for creative writing, doodling and procrastination. Laura plans on moving to Boston after graduation to pursue a career in the advertising industry as a copywriter. Laura loves APP and will always be a Mountaineer fan!