What My Senior Self Would Tell My Freshman Self

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

The end of senior year comes so much sooner than you picture it in your head. You spend four (or more) years of college picturing what your life will be like by graduation: the person that you will become, the things that will be important to you, the people you will say goodbye to and those that just might stay in your life forever. There is a definite struggle between feeling ready to get out and start your own life along with a fear of losing your student status and wondering if you had the “right” college experience.

No matter how ready you may or may not be to become an ASU alumnus, college is one of the greatest learning opportunities we will ever experience. It is important to realize how much your life has changed since you were a freshmen on move-in day and you should know with confidence that you are just that much closer to being the woman that you’re meant to become. With four years of college experience behind me, I can’t help but think of what I would have done differently knowing what I do now… If only I had the chance to talk to my nervous and excited freshman self.

Don’t put all your faith in just one resource
Sometimes you have to be your own best advocate in college, so make sure you’re double-checking important decisions like required classes, major/minor declarations, and other crucial facts and dates. Use the input of professors, academic advisors, and departments as much as possible because that’s what they are there for, but sometimes even they are not 100% sure.

Put yourself out there

Everyone talks about how many new people and experiences you will encounter in college, but it is important to remember that these introductions will not happen if you are unwilling to step outside your comfort zone. It is not everyone else’s job to make sure you have a great college experience, take each semester into your own hands and try to prevent yourself from falling into a comfortable routine that might keep you from taking advantage of everything this campus has to offer.

Nothing good happens after 2:00am
There is a reason that most bars close at 2, anything afterwards is usually where everyone starts making big mistakes. Avoid regrettable text messages, random people getting sick outside the bar, getting stuck at a party when the cops show up, or any otherwise undesirable situations by aiming to get home before it all goes downhill.

Learn to appreciate your parents
Sure you spent 85% of your time in high school being embarrassed by even the most normal things that they did, but it is usually thanks to them that you are in college. They cook for us when we come home, visit on family weekend and let us show off our school, and support us during a crazy exam week when we don’t know how to handle everything. Part of growing up is learning how to respect the perspective of your parents, even if you don’t necessarily agree with it.

Love your school
Yes, there can be frustrating days when it’s hard to find something not complaint-worthy (read: registration day), but you chose Appalachian for a reason and shouldn’t let yourself forget how quickly it becomes your home once you become a student here. When people ask me where I attend school, I often find myself going on about how perfect of a school ASU was for me instead of just simply answering the question. On your walk to your next class, take a moment to recognize how beautiful our campus is, to soak up the atmosphere on Sanford mall on a nice day, to appreciate this place that started off as your school and became your home.

Laura Maddox is a Senior at Appalachian State University. Laura was born and raised in Charlotte, NC but loves the mountain air in Boone. She is one of four kids and has an identical twin sister. Laura enjoys reading, fashion, blogging, traveling, chocolate, lots of coffee and riding in the car with the windows down. She has a knack for creative writing, doodling and procrastination. Laura plans on moving to Boston after graduation to pursue a career in the advertising industry as a copywriter. Laura loves APP and will always be a Mountaineer fan!