Valentine’s Day Dates on a Budget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

As college students, it can be hard to keep the romance of our relationships alive when the money in our pockets is non-existent. Valentine’s day does not need to be full of expensive gifts because one of the most important gifts you can offer is spending time with your loved one. There are many ways to make sure that despite your empty pockets, you will have a lively holiday together! Here are just a few ideas to keep the Valentine’s Day spirit alive in Boone!

1. Watch a sunset or sunrise together.

There are so many beautiful places in Boone with breathtaking views which is a gift in itself! Friday night or Saturday morning, pack a small meal and take a trip out to the parkway (weather permitting). Watching the sun rise or set over the surrounding mountains with the person you care about can be both romantic and inexpensive. Try Price Lake on the parkway for great scenery!

2. Cook a meal together.

Finding a table at a restaurant on Valentine’s Day can be a nightmare, not to mention the specialty menus at some restaurants up the prices to almost double the original price. Instead of facing the crowds, have an intimate night in while cooking a meal together. Sometimes having an activity to do together can make your date even more fun, and you can enjoy delicious food (of your choice) at the grocery store price.

3. Go to the movies.

Who said movies weren’t a good idea on Valentine’s Day? Tickets are only 10 dollars apiece and you can buy them ahead of time to make sure you have reserved seating. Along with movies like Endless Love or Labor Day that are mushy-gushy films, there are also plenty of comedies in the theater like That Awkward Moment or action movies like the Lone Survivor. Pick an option that is interesting for both you and your significant other!

4. Explore a gallery on Kings Street.

If you are interested in art or just a relaxing, no pressure, night on the town, make sure to go check out some of Boone’s local art galleries or shops. Having an activity like gallery hopping can be fun and, as an added bonus, sometimes the galleries will even provide wine and refreshments. Normally there is no entry fee, so this could be a fun and low-budget date.

5. Take a road trip.

Take a short road trip for the day to a nearby city or park to have a meal or just explore. If you do it right, the only thing you’ll have to pay for is a tank of gas and maybe some snacks for the road. This can be a fun way to see new towns or areas with your significant other and put you both in an adventurous mood. Asheville is only 2 hours away and there are always smaller surrounding towns like Blowing Rock, Valle Crucis or Todd that have some good restaurants and attractions! Don’t limit yourself to what only Boone has to offer!

If your budget is looking slim, don’t feel down about Valentine’s Day! Remember that the best times are the ones with each other and not with gifts. Plan a fun date on a low budget with these great options!

Senior Advertising major, Art minor at Appalachian State University.