The Truth Behind The Film Sold

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

Many of us believe that slavery is no more, while in fact a fictional movie is revealing the truth.

Sold is a film based off a book about a young girl from Nepal who ends up being captured and sold into the underground sex slavery industry in India. However, slavery does not only still exist in foreign nations but often times, is closer to home than we would suspect. 

In fact, year after year, surprisingly and unfortunately, the Super Bowl is the largest human trafficking ring in the nation. 

According to polarisproject.org, since 2007, the National Human Trafficking Resource Center has received 14,588 reports of sex trafficking cases in the United States alone. 

The International Labor Organization estimates that there are about 4.5 million people captured in forced sexual exploitation worldwide. 

You might’ve heard of the “End It” movement. It is an organization dedicated to spreading awareness about slavery and working to rescue and restore victims. Since 2013, they’ve been able to raise more than $4 million dollars and have supported more than 50 projects in their endeavors. 

One of the organizations the “End It” movement has collaborated with is the International Justice Mission. This organization works globally with lawyers, activists, and investigators among other professionals to protect people of third world countries from violence. Not only do they rescue victims but they work with the local government to bring criminals to justice. 

While slavery and violence is alive and active in foreign countries, it is also very real here in the United States and it is up to us to be aware and alert of possible crime.