Molly Peach-Girl With Fall Leaves Outsidee
Molly Peach / Her Campus

Top 5 Locations to See the Leaves Change in Boone

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

It’s finally fall, y’all, and that means the leaves are already starting to change colors. Autumn is certainly my favorite time of year, but it seems that every year that I’ve tried to get out to witness the changing of the seasons, I just barely miss the pretty colors by a day.

With everyone itching to get outside, I’ve put together a list of the best spots out there to spot the changes just in time for mid-October. This list is in no particular order, so pick your favorite, or check them all out and spend the day cruising on the Blue Ridge Parkway. To be safe, always wear a mask when going out to public spaces, like popular hiking spots. For fun, you could even spend the whole day in your car with Parkway Playlist jams at the ready! I hope your aux cord is prepared because it’s time to get cozy.

Rough Ridge

One of my personal favorite hikes on the Blue Ridge Parkway, it’s a fairly short hike up to the first stunning overlook. The views are incredible already from there, but you can keep going up to get an even more spectacular view of the nearby viaduct. Definitely a busier, more popular trail; try it out on a weekday if you’re free.

The Blowing Rock

Located in, you guessed it, Blowing Rock, N.C., this famous attraction is a must-see when it comes to the leaves changing color. Get an iconic, death-defying picture on the Blowing Rock itself, maybe take a hike, and definitely take in the views. Downtown Blowing Rock is also currently open to visitors as long as they wear masks! Take a drive down the main drag and get excited about fall.

Grandfather Mountain

While you can pay to drive up Grandfather Mountain, and even get a guided CD tour to go with it, there are almost a dozen different hikes up the mountain that are available absolutely free of charge. Either way, you make it to the top of a magnificent mountain that includes a swinging bridge, wildlife exhibits, and of course, the autumn leaves.

Moses Cone Fire Tower

Another popular spot and another good long hike for those who like it, this trail is about a five-mile trek there and back again. The starting and finishing lines, however, make it absolutely worth it. Beginning with the beautiful Moses Cone Manor and a view of Bass Lake, the trail ends at the summit of Flat Top Mountain and it’s fire tower, with views of Appalachian State University’s campus and Boone town. I highly suggest packing a lunch and eating it up there to enjoy the views for as long as possible.

Elk Mountain Overlook

If hikes aren’t really your style, don’t worry, I’ve got you covered. One of my favorite overlooks is Elk Mountain Overlook, and you don’t even have to get out of your car to enjoy it. Just a few minutes off the Parkway exit, turn on the music and take in the sights from the comfort of your warm vehicle.

I hope a few of my favorite places have helped you find yours. Get those great pictures, make those great memories, and stay healthy and warm out there!

Caroline is a senior English major at Appalachian State University concentrating in Film Studies with a minor in Theatre Arts. After she graduates in the spring of 2021, Caroline hopes to either work abroad teaching English as a second language, in the American school system or artistically to pursue creative writing. Caroline has been a member of HerCampus App State since 2019. Along with being its 2020 - 2021 Campus Correspondent, she has also held the positions of Senior Editor, Social Media Director, and was a part of the Campus Trendsetter Program.