This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

Prestige television shows such as Mad Men, Euphoria, and Breaking Bad have very little in common plot-wise; however, their conception has one show to thank: The Sopranos, which aired a quarter of a century ago. Now, with a plethora of streaming services and shows that span multiple seasons, it’s nearly impossible to imagine a time without the high drama, character-driven, and complex plots of television today. However, before The Sopranos, drama shows and television in general were not considered a “serious” form of entertainment. “The Sopranos left an indelible imprint on the global entertainment culture and was instrumental in defining HBO as the destination for groundbreaking, award-winning programming,” said Zach Enterlin, Max Executive VP. Six seasons and twenty-five years later, audiences couldn’t get enough of the father, husband, and crime boss Tony Soprano. From food to podcasts, fans and cast members alike have shown their love for the show that made history. 

Earlier this month, cast members, executives, and producers of the show came together in Da Nico, an old-style Italian restaurant in Little Italy, to “salud”  their time with The Sopranos. Eating iconic food from the show, cast members mingled, partied, and reconnected with the people they spent over nine years with. “I shared a big part of my life. They watched my children grow up… it continues to be a very large, looming family,” reports Lorraine Bracco, who played Dr. Melfi, to the New York Times. Of course, any Soprano fan would absolutely whack a guy to go to the celebratory dinner and meet the cast that brought the crime family to life. However, they’re going to have to settle for the specialty dishes made for the anniversary, such as Carmela’s Baked Ziti and Satriales Special Caprese, which will be on Da Nico’s menu for the next couple of weeks. 

Although some of the more recognizable faces of the show, such as Jamie-Lynn Sigler (Meadow) and Robert Iller (AJ), couldn’t make it to the dinner, they celebrated The Sopranos’ anniversary with a special episode of their podcast “Not Today, Pal.” The on-screen brother and sister duo answered questions sent in by other actors about their experience on the show and reminisced on their childhood on-set, sharing behind-the-scenes photos and memories. 

Of course, there’s no talking about The Sopranos without mentioning the phenomenal performance by the late James Gandolfini, who played the anti-hero of anti-heroes, Tony Soprano. Jamie-Lynn Sigler reflected on watching him perform: “He gave everything he could to Tony Soprano… the dedication he had to that role, I’ve never seen in my career since.” Both Sigler and Iler stressed how close the cast was, never going to their trailers so they could hang out with their fellow cast-mates. “There was not a lack of laughing on that set,” Rober Iller told their listeners. 

There’s no wonder fans and cast members are celebrating The Sopranos’ anniversary 25 years later. From popularization of the anti-hero trope to exemplifying the ‘Mob wife aesthetic,’ the show’s impact on the modern day is lasting. Whether you tune into the new five hours of behind-the-scenes footage released by Max or just make yourself a dish of baked ziti, find a way to celebrate the milestone of the show that made history.

McCall Hope

App State '26

Hi y'all! My name is McCall Hope, I'm one of Her Campus at App State's Co-Campus Coordinators. Originally from Spartanburg, SC, I'm currently a Sophomore at App, double majoring in Political Science and Anthropology. In my free time, I enjoy reading, crafting, exploring art (especially fashion), and all things outdoors!