This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

It’s finally a new year. I say ‘finally’ because it seems like it took more than a hot second to get there. 2022 was a hard year for me and I do not wish to repeat that again. My 2022 negatives consisted of people who are abrasive, pick-mes, and overall unpleasant. I would rather do anything else than encounter or interact with those individuals or people like them. 

Luckily for me, it wasn’t a complete dumpster fire. I had many highlights including seeing Big Time Rush in concert. If you know me, you know that it was a long time coming and a pretty big deal. I did get a job over the summer that I hope I can secure again this coming summer. I got to work at a preschool summer camp with 3-4 year olds. Some days it was a bit of a headache, but overall the kids were sweet and the job was never too challenging. I was also able to see the East Alcatraz Crime Museum. That was bigger and longer than I expected it to be – my legs were so tired I’m surprised I made it. I took two trips to Greenville, NC to visit my childhood friend. The first time I went with another friend and the second time I went by myself. 

The negativity that I mentioned in the beginning happened during the Spring and Fall semester. I haven’t had the best time in meeting new people at University, it’s very tragic. And it’s tragic that most of my time has been somewhat tarnished by those people (seriously, if you know you know). However, I say ‘somewhat’ because despite everything, I met and now have a beautifully chaotic group of friends. As I’m writing this, I’m with some of them. We’re at Starbucks and we’re all trying to get our sh– together before school starts. I know that this semester and the rest of my time here until I graduate will be great because no matter what, I have them. For better or worse, they have me too.

Additionally, I am involved in many things that I am passionate about on campus (Women’s Center, Latin Hispanic Alliance, Planned Parenthood Generation Action, and of course, Her Campus). I am able to invest my energy in things that matter to me and make some type of difference. 

I am ready to conquer this year individually, and with those who I care about.

Sophia Alayna

App State '24

Sophia is a Senior at Appalachian State University. She is pursuing a degree in English Creative Writing and Gender, Women's, & Sexualities studies! Sophia enjoys writing, getting in her feels, and creating/maintaining connections with loved ones.