This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

It’s that wonderful time of year again. A time that requires planning for months in advance so that students can ready themselves to begin their journey as they flock to warmer destinations. It’s spring break. Whether you’re adventuring to south Florida, California, or even some place overseas, it’s easy to envy where your peers will vacation this year – especially while stuck in this chilly Boone weather.

Even more so when you end up spending spring break at home. While you might’ve thought that surely some plans would appear the closer to spring break you got, once it’s arrived, you’ve realized that you’ll be spending time in your hometown this year. However, that’s not necessarily a bad thing. Sometimes being home is just what we college students need.

That being said, it can still be tricky trying to enjoy time at home while watching your Instagram feed fill up with pictures of your friends in the Caribbean. Here are some tips for surviving spring break at home:

1. Get off of social media! Rather than let envy take over your break, spend time enjoying being present throughout your own spring break

2. Be a tourist in your own town. So many hidden treasures are waiting to be discovered just minutes from your home. 

3. Use this time to reconnect with old friends from high school or friends of the family who haven’t seen you since the semester began.

4. Even though being at home can be trying for the independent college student you are, spring break is an awesome time to truly cherish the simplicities of being at home with your parents.

5. Finish that book you forgot about once homework and school activities began to take over your life. 

“Do anything, but let it produce joy.” 

― Walt Whitman