This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

Dorm life is probably one of the most memorable things about being a freshman in college. This means that the advice for making it a successful experience is overflowing. When you’re researching and reading through all the tips and tricks, remember the most important thing: dive into it with an open mind! I’ve met so many different kinds of people just living in a residence hall and I never would have met them if I hid in my room all day. But if that’s not cutting it for you, here are a few essential things you need to know to survive dorm life your freshman year!

1. Privacy & Bathrooms: You are now no longer living in the comfort of your home, you share an unusually small space with another individual, along with the lobby and bathrooms with tons of other people on your floor. Whether your floor is coed or not, your privacy is very limited. In addition to that, don’t depend on other people to be clean and invest in shower shoes. I also use a shower caddy to take all of my toiletries and shower supplies with me so I’m not juggling a bunch of soaps in the hallway while I’m in a towel (eeek!).

2. Laundry: Speaking of sharing, at App State the laundry rooms are usually shared by an entire building. This means that on the weekends you can bet your last meal plan dollar that all the washers and dryers will be taken. ALWAYS do your laundry on a weeknight to avoid the rush. Also, invest in tide pods, they take up less space than the detergent bottles and they’re so easy to use (not to mention convenient). Boys who have never done their laundry until they moved out know how to use them, so that really says something. 

3. Try not to over pack: Learning from experience, DON’T bring your entire household. You don’t need every last sweater, even though it does get cold in Boone. Don’t forget that your parents can always send you some things, or you can grab them when you go home for the weekend. Wal-Mart is also always a safe place to pick up last minute forgotten items that you absolutely need.

4. Necessary items you may have forgotten to add to the list:

a. A memory foam mattress pad. Yes they’re a little more expensive, but if you’re like me, beauty sleep is of the utmost importance, and can’t be jeopardized by the awful mattresses offered by the university.

b.  A Scentsy. Since, candles aren’t allowed in the dorms, a Scentsy is the best alternative. They’re really effective, plus they’re cute! If you don’t want to spend all that money on the real ones, Wal-Mart and other places have a similar knock off brand that do the job just as well.

c. A bedside caddy. I never thought I would have needed one of these but now that I have one I don’t know what I’d do without it. From doing homework in bed late at night, to a place for your midnight snacks, or just a place to put your phone, these babies are more than convenient, they’re necessary! I found mine at Target, but they’re everywhere! 

5. Meals: Now that you’re not living at home, meals are all on you. The first few weeks may seem cool, and Central may even seem like the best place you’ve ever eaten, but slowly and surely that fades away. Know what your options are, and use your monopoly money wisely! It’s nice to keep food in your dorm too; it saves the trip to Central, especially when it’s cold! (P.S. Don’t forget eating utensils, plastic ones are the best. Nobody wants to do dishes. Ever.)

6. Have a plan for when you go out! Going out on the weekends (or even a weekday) is all a part of the “college experience”. Just don’t be dumb about it. You probably aren’t 21 going into college, so you can get into trouble if you come into the dorms obviously intoxicated. Always have a friend at the dorms who knows you’re going out and can help you get into your room safely, or let you in the side door to avoid the RA, so you don’t get into trouble. Never opt for staying at a stranger’s just because you’re afraid to come back! Having a plan is your best bet for avoiding trouble and being safe.