This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

In Boone, N.C the winter weather can sometimes be described as Frigid, windy and sometimes snowy but for me, and many others, it’s so much more. Snow days filled with street snowboarding, on campus snowball fights and intense sledding is where you can often find the students of Appalachian State. 

At Appalachian State we take advantage of a good snow day. This year with almost the whole first week of classes being canceled due to inclement weather gave us a lot of time to think. “You know, what are we going to do with all this free time?” The mountaineers were quick to answer by finding ways to play in the snow. 

For me personally, I did partake in some of the winter activities this season. Once we got a decent amount of snow, my friends and I geared up and headed toward campus for a little freestyle snowboarding. We were greeted by several other students who also wanted to indulge in the winter wonderland. 

I love days like these, seeing your community, enjoying the weather, and each other’s company. We built a few jumps to snowboard over, got creative with several different items to sled on, and threw a few snowballs here and there. 

The snow also helped out our local ski slopes, providing real, fresh snow, which we don’t see as often as we like. Beech Mountain was something out of a postcard and the snow was perfect for winter sports. Fresh powder, there’s really nothing better. 

I know that winter isn’t always fun but for me and others alike, there are aspects of it to appreciate and have a little fun with. I wish everyday was a snow day.  

Julie Lord

App State '24

Hi! I'm Julie and I am a senior journalism major, minoring in photography at App State. I love writing, taking pictures and hanging out with my pup, Piper!