This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

This really should not have to be said, but SERIAL KILLERS ARE NOT SEXY.

The recent release of the Netflix series Dahmer has ignited an internet obsession with the infamous killer. The series has prompted fans to take to platforms such as Twitter and TikTok to discuss their sympathies for his traumatic upbringing. However, for many it did not stop at just sympathy. Fan-made edits of the show began to spread, essentially romanticizing Dahmer and his life.

Thirsting after serial killers is, unfortunately, nothing new. Questionable taste in men is not a problem exclusive to Gen Z. Rather, it is a disease that has afflicted generations past. Jefferey Dahmer, Charles Manson, and Ted Bundy all received love letters and fan mail while in prison. Bundy even married while incarcerated and had a host of groupies who went positively feral for him — like parted their hair down the middle and dyed it brown in an attempt to mimic his victims.

While this behavior is rather unhinged, it is certainly not uncommon. Dramaticized retellings of these terrible events are causing a spike in serial killer super-fans. A constant within biopics is the writer’s desire to create redeemable traits within a character, even when those aspects didn’t exist in the real person. When attractive actors are cast as killers, it almost softens the blow of the story. Extremely Wicked, Shockingly Evil and Vile starring Zac Efron is a good example of this. Maybe casting a former teenage heartthrob and Disney channel star as a murderer was not the best move. In doing so, they have blurred the lines between fans of Efron and fans of Bundy, particularly for younger viewers. 

In light of the internet’s reaction to Dahmer, as well as society’s historically questionable behavior when it comes to criminals, it’s important to consider the impact of glorifying them in movies and TV shows. Still giving serial killers this kind of glamorous publicity decades after their death has turned despicable people into celebrities. 

So, if you think serial killers are sexy, maybe stop that. However, do keep in mind that it is not entirely your fault. The media has turned these terrible stories into entertainment for the masses. The killers become characters rather than real people. But let’s stop profiting off of horrible atrocities. And let’s definitely stop calling Jeffery Dahmer sexy on TikTok.

Lucy Bomar

App State '25

Hey! My name is Lucy and I am sophomore creative writing major but if my parents ask I am pre-law. I love watercolor painting, road trips, and reading good books.