Sensitive about Sensitivity

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

Just to recap, here is the commercial that everyone is talking about.

Now, at first glance and the first time I watched this, I thought it was hilarious, maybe a little vulgar and sorta freaky, but hilarious at the same time.

My friends and I laughed about it for a few minutes and then moved on.

It wasn’t until a few days later that I heard the news of abortion clinics saying Doritos supports abortion, they are “#antichoice,” humanizes fetuses and sexist dads, and uptight moms.

The creator of the commercial, Peter Carstairs, has also been getting insane amounts of backlash, with some saying “the commercial was made by a white dude for white dues.”

Not only is he a “supporter of abortion” but is apparently racist now too.

When did we become so sensitive we can’t take a joke or an advertisement?

You can’t even voice your creative thoughts, let alone an opinion, without getting smacked down by the hurt feelings that is the general public. What makes you think you can say what’s on your mind? How dare you make something that you thought was a good advertisement?

I hope those who are far too sensitive know that this Doritos commercial is the point of advertisement: to get you talking about it.

Congrats on making a commercial worth talking about, Doritos! We will work on growing thicker skin.

Jennifer is a senior Public Relations major with a minor in Sociology. When she isn't writing, Jennifer is involved with her sorority, Alpha Gamma Delta-Nu Alpha, is writing music, is making your favorite coffee, stopping every stranger on the street to pet their dogs, probably napping, and giving glory to The Lord for all of the opportunities she has been given.