Style

Never Underestimate the Power of a Good Outfit on a Bad Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

Throughout my years spent in college I’ve come across a plethora of different people who choose to dress in many different ways. That’s also another reason why I love my college so much — because of all the many different personality types of people who go here.

Yes, we can all fall victim to the Chacos and Birkenstocks lifestyle that comes with living in Boone, but you can also see everyone’s individual style during the fall and spring. As tempting as it is to get up and throw on a t-shirt and leggings and book it to class, sometimes I honestly just don’t want to do that, and really want to put together an outfit to feel better about myself. 

One of the ways I’ve changed my attitude throughout the day this year is by dressing better. I quickly came to realize that when I spent zero time on myself in the mornings and slept in that extra 15 minutes, I ended up being incredibly insecure for the rest of the day.

Some of the ways that I’ve been able to find inspiration for campus outfits is Pinterest. I’m obsessed with Pinterest, honestly. I have a regular “clothes” board, where I pin outfit ideas for weekends, lunch dates, and comfy casual class outfits. Then I have a “dream wardrobe” board where I put anything and everything; whether it’s fancy clothes, business casual wear for when I’m in the job industry later, or just more expensive clothes that *hopefully* I’ll be able to afford when I get out of school.

I’ve had such a trial and error when it comes to figuring out what “style” my fashion choices fall under, but this past year has been such a success when it comes to buying clothes that I love. I’ll also be the first to admit that, yes I’m obsessed with Pinterest, but not nearly as obsessed as I am with online shopping. Whether it’s Forever 21, shein.com, or rue21 in the boone mall, I am constantly browsing and creating outfits in my head, because for some reason I tend to believe I need a new outfit for every event I attend. 

I like to have my share of comfy “lazy” days where I get work done in the library in leggings and a t-shirt, but other days I like to wear a cute jumpsuit, or a fun pair of patterned pants (because honestly, I hate jeans so much). Having that nice balance throughout the week has made me look forward to going to classes because I get to plan out my outfit and be confident in what I’m wearing — not saying I’m not just as confident in a t-shirt and leggings, but sometimes for your mental health you just need a little more than that.

Maybe I’m saying all of this because I’ve been on a huge “Sex and the City” binge, and I aspire to be like Carrie Bradshaw in many different ways.

But even before I started watching the show, I can truly attest to feeling 20 times better about something that goes wrong throughout my day if I’m wearing a cuter outfit. Sometimes you need that. Be selfish sometimes! Set a couple of extra alarms and wake up and plan to kick ass throughout the day with your outfit. As soon as you walk out the door to your class feeling confident and looking good, you can handle anything that gets thrown at you throughout the day.

Use fashion as your way of tackling your obstacles — I know I do. Have a class presentation but you’re nervous as all get out for it? Pick out the outfit that you feel the most confident in the night before, and get up that next morning ready to take on the world! Plan out the days throughout the week when the weather is predicted to be nicer, and I can guarantee you’ll be excited for every day of the week!

Whoever you idolize the most as your fashion icon, whether it’s Carrie Bradshaw, or Kendall Jenner, dress to impress yourself and not anyone else! Wear what makes you happiest — because even the most stressful of days can be lightened up at least a little by a good lipstick and a cute outfit!

Senior at Appalachian State University. Majoring in Journalism and minoring in Marketing. There's no problem a good cup of coffee can't fix, honestly. I believe in singing loudly and dancing horribly to all music, and living by the statement to always have courage and be kind.
Dianna is a graduate of the class of 2019 at Appalachian State University where she studied Public Relations, Journalism and English. At Her Campus, she served as App State's campus correspondent and editor-in-chief.