katie harp dRCjgmc4B8I unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
katie harp dRCjgmc4B8I unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Money Saving Tips for Collegiettes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

Collegiettes are always looking for creative new ways to save money. Here are some tips for how to make the most of a limited budget:

Coffee:

Instead of spending $4 on a sugar-free soy vanilla latte with no whip, order a regular house coffee with a few pumps of your favorite flavor and add your own milk.

Average savings: $2

Movie Night:

There are always RedBox codes floating around the internet, so find one before swiping at a kiosk. “Breakroom” and “DVDonme” both work for free rentals.

Average savings: $1

Online Shopping:

Two words: Amazon Prime. You can get Amazon Prime free for 1 year with an @edu email address. That means FREE 2-DAY SHIPPING; and Amazon has everything.

Average savings: $7 (ground shipping per order)

Shoes:

Shoebuy.com has great deals on hundreds of brands of shoes. They find any reason to give you 20% off and free shipping. Buy more expensive pairs of shoes here for even bigger savings.

Average savings: $15

Gas:

Download the app Gas Buddy to check for the cheapest stations closest to you. Some gas stations even give discounts for paying cash.

Average savings: $.05 per gallon

Groceries:

Buy the majority of your everyday groceries at Walmart. Their Great Value brand is often much cheaper than brand names and can save you loads. Buy specialty items such as meats and cheeses at Harris Teeter.

Average savings: $20

Rent:

Ask your landlord if you can get a discount for paying rent early. Some places give up to 5% off your total rent if you pay before the 1st.

Average savings: $15

Happy Hour:

Many bars and restaurants have drink specials or happy hours depending on the day. Research these before going out with friends to save enough money for a second round!

Average savings: $5

Student discounts:

Many restaurants and stores around Boone give students discounts when you show your Appcard so make sure to ask before paying full price.

Average savings: $4

Total savings: $70 (That’s enough to buy a great pair of fall boots!)

Follow these tips and you’ll save more than you think; remember, every discount adds up!