Mistakes We Made This Year That We Won’t Repeat in 2012

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

Another year has flown by, and we’ve all either succeeded or failed in completing our optimistically planned new year’s resolutions from last year. But this year when the clock strikes midnight at the end of 2011, don’t forget what you’ve learned since last time. Sure, we all want to lose five pounds this year (for the third year in a row), but there are dozens of other little mistakes we’ve all made this year that we don’t need to make again.

Mistakes of 2011:

-Getting jealous of Kim Kardashian’s wedding.
This pretty much speaks for itself. And for those of you who scorn the Kardashian name, be honest, you wanted three custom Vera Wang dresses for at least half a second.

-Texting the guy you are supposed to be done with after a night out (or just a night alone in your apartment).

You know what’s good for you, and a 2am text conversation with him is not going to help you grow from your experiences and become a better person. It’s going to help you back into your habit of inviting him over for “movie nights” and silently debating pros and cons of your situation and driving yourself crazy.

-Taking a class with a professor with the worst online ratings imaginable.
Next time you see multitudes of frowny faces next to “Do not take this class under any circumstances” on RateMyProfessor, heed the warning, find something else that fits into your schedule, and avoid misery. These people aren’t lying.

– Not getting a case for your iPhone.
This should be a given, but think about how many Facebook groups you were invited to this year with a bizarre explanation of how someone broke their phone and needed your number. It’s basically an all-important computer you carry with you at all times, so you should probably treat it as such. Think about it, you never hear of anyone accidentally dropping their laptop in the toilet (ok, not entirely a realistic example, but you get the idea).

[pagebreak]

-Forgetting to waterproof your rain jacket/coats.
You can’t think about Boone without the word “waterproof” coming to mind, but for good reason. Seriously one of the most important things you can remember to do while attending ASU.

-Staying up all night to watch the Royal Wedding and failing a test the next day.

However, not totally regrettable… it was a historic occasion. And you would have felt really left-out in the world of social networking if you hadn’t witnessed Kate and Pippa’s gorgeous dresses.

-Char.
No offense to you die-hard goers, but the most popular thing offered there besides PBR tallboys is the constant opportunity to get touched without your permission. Not for the claustrophobic or faint of heart.

-Trying to get a spot in the library parking deck during exam week (or any day after 5 for that matter).
If you know you’re pressing your luck during peak hours, go park in Raley. You’ll save yourself the trouble of doing the awkward 5-point-turn of defeat on the top level of the deck, and cut down your chances of some equally frustrated driver running into the back of your car.

-Not checking the extended weather forecast for a long day on campus or a football game.
There is nothing worse than realizing your feet are numb before halftime of one of the season’s best games. Even if it’s warm before the sun goes down, know how far the temperature will drop once it gets dark, and last longer into the evening without the painful nagging of frozen toes. 

Laura Maddox is a Senior at Appalachian State University. Laura was born and raised in Charlotte, NC but loves the mountain air in Boone. She is one of four kids and has an identical twin sister. Laura enjoys reading, fashion, blogging, traveling, chocolate, lots of coffee and riding in the car with the windows down. She has a knack for creative writing, doodling and procrastination. Laura plans on moving to Boston after graduation to pursue a career in the advertising industry as a copywriter. Laura loves APP and will always be a Mountaineer fan!